Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I got a wheel alignment...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mike_the_man
So, I took the teener in for a wheel alignment on the weekend. I gave the guy all the specs that I wanted the car aligned to, front and rear. I also gave him my cell # and said if there are any problems, to call me. I was told the car would be ready in about an hour.

So, an hour later I come back to get it. I go in to pay, and the guy behind the counter tells me they weren't able to adjust the caster and camber, but he's not sure why (kinda sounds like a problem, why didn't they call?), so I ask to speak to the mechanic. He tells me there wasn't enough adjustment left, so he left them all as they were. I ask about the rear, and he says that I didn't ask to have it done. Why would I have given specs for front and rear if I didn't want the rear done?!? The mechanic snorts and walks away.

So, I payed $35 to get the front toe adjusted, and that was all. To top it all off, now the car has a pretty good shimmy at about 60mph that wasn't there before. And, after looking, it doens't look like the adjustment bolts on the front struts were even loosened, so I'm not sure how he could tell there was no adjustment left.

I'll be calling the manager today, I just had to vent.

And to top it all off, there's an autox tonight that I wanted to go to, but probably won't because of the crappy "alignment".

Mikey angry!
sanman
you prolly should not have paid and spoke to the mgr at that time they will charge you the $35 for a rack fee for doing nothing. happen to me a while back
anthony
Is this shop a shop that knows Porsches? I would only take a 914 or 911 to a shop that really knows the cars.
Aaron Cox
i had a similar experience.... headbang.gif
mike_the_man
Everybody told me this was the place to go. There aren't a whole lot of options aorund here. My buddy took his 911 there and was pretty happy with the results. I think I'll give them a call right now.
nebreitling
Get your money back.

They are BS'ing you because the don't know Porsches, and they shouldn't have accepted the work. Take it to a real shop, even if it's a long drive.
GWN7
Take it to a real shop, even if it's a long drive.

The next closest place for him to get P car work done is in Calgary or Winnipeg...... about 8 hrs either way. wink.gif
nebreitling
ouch...

load up the trailer!!
Joe Ricard
I can do a better job with a carpenters square, measuring tape and some string.

PP has a tech article on home alignment. can't do caster quite well so I just make them the same.

When I 1st got the 928 paid 400 bucks for the alignment shop to screw up the car. Tech never checked to see if anything was worn out. Needed wheel bearing adjustment, one new ball joint, and a tie rod end. After that nobody wrenches on my cars. And the guy who told me my brand new forged wheel was bent. (actually didn't know how to put the hub on the machine correctly). Give it back I'll keep it thanks. Put it on the car set up dial indicator. .004 run out. Yup bent my ass. spank.gif

May not even bring the Mini in for service. Any body ever wonder what qualifications it takes to work at some of the shops we take our cars to? No offense meant to the few exceptions. Shops that really know what they are doing and charge for what they really do.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.