Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anti Porsche
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brett W
Anyone read the article in Excellence about the stolen headlights from the late model Porsches? After reading that article I am pretty ill about the German mentality that they are perfect and the americans are stupid. Notice how the Japanese, (Nissan) took steps to help their customers out. I have also heard from a friend at PCNA that even when they have a problem that they find on new Porsche models, The factory denies that it is a flaw in their design, but something American consumers have done. What's the deal?
Joe Ricard
You mean there was actually an article inbetween all the advertisements? Hmm.
Mueller
americans are stupid
....not stupid,
but instead:

greedy (fraudulant body shops)
or
thiefs (the people stealing the headlights for cash)
or
@-holes (the people installing the stolen components on thier cars, I want to say it's mostly on the "ricer" cars, but everyone is fair game when it comes to "pimp'n out my ride" )

in a perfect world, we'd be able to perform a sting with the headlights having a GPS (or better yet, explosives) to catch/disable the f'n thiefs

I've heard of some Porsche owners even getting rid of the litronic lights for normal lights just to have the "regular" lights stolen by a really stupid thief.
Dave_Darling
One of the premier Japanese luxo-brands is having the same problem. Thieves are stealling the HID lights from them--it's now the #1 claim for that particular car. (Heck, which car was it? I forget!) This was in either Road & Track or Car & Driver within the past 3 months.... Sorry I can't dredge up which issue or even which car out of my memory.

But this is pretty much happening to all cars that come with HIDs, everywhere in the country. And none of the automakers have evidently figured out what to do about it yet.

--DD
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brett W @ Jul 26 2004, 04:38 PM)
The factory denies that it is a flaw in their design, but something American consumers have done.

and i'm sure YOU would design a car with the fact in mind that your headlights need a anti-theft protection cause you just KNEW everyone would steal the headlights instead of the entire car, right?

wacko.gif Andy
Jeroen
Do the wheels fall of if you loosen a couple of bolts?
If so, is it a faulty and unsave design because of that?
idea.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
Rusty
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Jul 27 2004, 03:57 AM)
You mean there was actually an article inbetween all the advertisements? Hmm.

Excellence, IMO, is the best P-mag out there. smile.gif It's far better than Pano or Christophorus.

-Rusty smoke.gif
i love porsche
agree.gif
Dave_Darling
Hey, don't forget "Tuner Whore" --uh, I mean "european car" magazine! A "quality" publication in every way... rolleyes.gif

--DD
URY914
The artical talked about the problem in South Florida (Miami/Ft Lauderdale/West Palm).

I lived in SF for 7 years and if itsn't red hot or nailed down it will be lifted. Classic case of the haves vs have nots.

Paul
physician
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Jul 26 2004, 07:18 PM)
Do the wheels fall of if you loosen a couple of bolts?
If so, is it a faulty and unsave design because of that?
idea.gif

cheers,

Jeroen

you got a point agree.gif
Brett W
Guys I am not saying Porsche has a poor design. I am saying the attitude that Porsche can do no wrong and that this is something the americans have done is not acceptable. I have been told on several occasions by Techs at PCNA that they have engineers and such to solve problems that Porsche refuses to accept as a design flaw.

I don't expect Porsche to bend over backwards for their customers but I do expect some love. Look at waht Nissan did, they solved the problem. The Germans are going to have to get it through their thick heads that they are in a competetive market and customer service can set them apart from FORD. Honda, etc. GO to the SCCA Runoffs and look at the HONDA support trailer for the weekend warriors. Ever seen a Porsche support trailer at a race for anyone other than the big money boys? Porsche is a small car company they need a differentiation between them and the rest of the world. They need customers to stay alive.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brett W @ Jul 27 2004, 05:43 PM)
The Germans are going to have to get it through their thick heads

haha, yeah, like that's ever going to happen! laugh.gif

ask me how i know,
wink.gif Andy
elocke
"We have not this problem in Germany" is the response I got used to while working for a US manufacturer of a German designed product. And that was 10+ years ago.
Jeroen
I've been to the factory in Stuttgart and the workers on the assembly line are actually encouraged to point out design flaws and/or to make suggestions about design changes
They get awarded depending on the usability of their comments/suggestions
It's not unusual for them to "win" driving a new 911 for a year

cheers,

Jeroen
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.