Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Got a problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jarbuthnot
Now, bear with me, as I haven't a clue what I'm saying, just repeating what Andy has told me to say:

The engine is brand new, but one of the valves stays open. He's used a boroscope on it and there is absolutely nothing in there that's in the way. He tapped it lightly with a rubber mallet and is moved slightly and stopped, still open.

What could cause this?
seanery
bent valve?
SLITS
agree.gif

Or galling of stem and/or guide from lack of oil

Or guide wasn't sized properly
Jake Raby
all of the above....

Is the fuel thats in the tank been there for more than a few months?? Don't laugh, this can cause seized valves..
jarbuthnot
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jul 27 2004, 12:36 PM)
Is the fuel thats in the tank been there for more than a few months??

Yes, it has, the tank was half full and he put in something (Stabil??), then filled it the rest of the way, so it wouldn't go bad over the winter.

Is this an "Oh Shit" item? If it's a seized valve, how to fix it?

I know a bent valve is an "Oh f***" item. If it's a bent valve, could it have been bent when the engine was put back in the car?
SLITS
Ah suppose you could try fresh gas with an "upper end" lubricant additive and see if it cleans itself after a while. Not sure though - Raby would provide a better answer.

It would be very difficult, if not impossible, to bend a valve while installing the engine. Now bending it while assembling the engine would be a possibility.
Jake Raby
when fuel is stable for a long time it builds varnish...

None of the snake oils will keep it from happening. The old fuel turns into glue and actually glues the intake valve open. New engines are the worst for it to happen to as they have tight valve to stem clearances.

HOPEFULLY the valve is parked at less than full lift and has not collided with the piston. If it has the repair bill just went up.

Remove the enging, pop off the head and see... the guide will need to be replaced and so will the valve if it collided. maybe the piston is okay.

DRAIN ALL THE OLD FUEL!
jarbuthnot
My first thought is oh f**k., as if my second and third ones. I've passed all your stuff on to Andy. As Jake suggested, he will pull the engine and look at it.

Thanks for everyone's input. I'll let you know what happens.

Will Joan have a car? Will Joan be able to attend the ECR? Will Joan run out of money or patience first? Stay tuned, the saga continues!! headbang.gif
Jake Raby
Let me know if I can help..

Fuel literally can kill.......
ejm
Joan - Any update on this? It's 3 1/2 weeks till the ECR...
jarbuthnot
QUOTE(ejm @ Aug 3 2004, 07:37 PM)
It's 3 1/2 weeks till the ECR...

It's going to be close. Pretty sure it wasn't old gas that caused it. (Yes, Jake, I hear you and I promise this winter, I will drain the gas out, guess I'll have to learn some mechanical stuff cool.gif ) Don't know what yet, the guy that works on the car has been out with a bad back. He was supposed to be back today, but I've been out all day.

The guy that built the engine is willing to defray some of the repair costs and will walk my guy through doing what ever it is.

I'm planning on coming anyway, but it may be in a Volvo station wagon. icon8.gif
ejm
QUOTE(jarbuthnot @ Aug 4 2004, 04:24 PM)
I'm planning on coming anyway, but it may be in a Volvo station wagon.   icon8.gif

Come to your first ramble in a station wagon sad.gif
idea.gif I think thats been done before wink.gif (someone's sure to tell the story laugh.gif )

If your 914 can't make it you're welcome to drive my '76 driving-girl.gif
Dave_Darling
BTW, I think that "bad gas" is blamed much more often than it actually causes problems. I had about a quarter-tank of fuel sit in my 914 for just under four years, and it didn't cause a single problem.

Could be that different formulations of gasoline have problems sooner than others, but four years is still four years...

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.