Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Identifying a 2.0 without a Known Case #
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Nemisus
Greetings,

I'm about two weeks into ownership of a 1975 914 2.0. Unfortunately a few owners before me switched out the motor for a 1.7 bus engine. Reason unknown? I'd like to bring the car back to a 2.0 and have several motors I'm considering buying.

Is there a way to identify a 2.0 without having a known Engine Case #? I only know of one place where the number is engraved and one of the sellers is telling me there isn't anything there. So my concern is whether or not its a legit 2.0.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Here are a few pictures of the car I'm working on:

IPB Image

IPB Image

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards

Nemisus
underthetire
A real porsche 2.0 will have 3 stud heads.
Nemisus
QUOTE(underthetire @ Oct 16 2011, 11:16 AM) *

As opposed to what? And what 3 studs are you talking about? The intake studs? Excuse my ignorance as I'm very new to this style of motor.

Also when you say a real Porsche 2.0, are you still referring to the 4 cyclinder 2.0 and not the 6 cyclinder 2.0?

Thanks for the feedback.
jmill
The 914 2.0 heads have 3 studs on the intake manifold vs 4 studs on the 1.7 and 1.8.
Nemisus
QUOTE(jmill @ Oct 16 2011, 12:08 PM) *

The 914 2.0 heads have 3 studs on the intake manifold vs 4 studs on the 1.7 and 1.8.

Ok perfect! Thanks jmill

cheers

Nem
tornik550
QUOTE(Nemisus @ Oct 16 2011, 02:51 PM) *

QUOTE(underthetire @ Oct 16 2011, 11:16 AM) *

As opposed to what? And what 3 studs are you talking about? The intake studs? Excuse my ignorance as I'm very new to this style of motor.

Also when you say a real Porsche 2.0, are you still referring to the 4 cyclinder 2.0 and not the 6 cyclinder 2.0?

Thanks for the feedback.

There is a 914 2.0l and a bus 2.0l engine- I think that is what they meant by real porsche 2.0l?
Nemisus
QUOTE(tornik550 @ Oct 16 2011, 02:09 PM) *

There is a 914 2.0l and a bus 2.0l engine- I think that is what they meant by real porsche 2.0l?

Oh I see. Will there be a difference in 2.0s? I only ask because the Engine in question... advertised has a 914 2.0 with transaxle has 4 stud heads and the Engine Case # ground off. I'm assuming its mis-advertised and not a real 2.0, and have since declined the sale.

draganc
first of all:

welcome.png

if you want a real VW porsche 2.0 engine, you should look for a "GE" marking and as mentioned above for a 3 stud head.

hope this helps and welcome to the madness

beerchug.gif
Dave_Darling
"GE" is a Bus motor. "GA" and "GC" are 914 motors. (So is "GB", but you almost certainly won't see one of those.)

The three-stud heads, and spark plugs that come out through the vertical part of the engine tin on the sides, rather than through the horizontal part on top of the head. Those are probably the most expensive part of the 2.0 engine, so usually if a motor has those heads it really is a 2.0 914 motor.

--DD
Madswede
agree.gif with Dave. Just to add something from my own experience, there is also the "GD" stamped motor - a bus motor. They are totally interchangeable as far as installation into a 914, but they are poor performers considering the obvious differences in application between a bus and a sports car. Over-revving kills those bus motors. Don't ask me how I know. dry.gif
Nemisus
Thanks for all the info and the Welcome.

I'm pretty excited about the car. I got it in trade for a motorcycle I was never going to ride. The motorcycle was given to me as well so I initially put zero money down to get this 914. I feel like I'm a head of the game at this point!

As seen in the photo's the 914 looks pretty good. However it does have its issues. Little bit of floor board rust, interior pieces are more or less shot and need replaced. The 901 transaxle will need synchros in 1st and maybe second. The motor starts and goes every time... other than being a 1.7 Bus motor I can't complain on what I got for nothing beerchug.gif

As mentioned at the beginning the 914 was an oringinal 2.0. Since I posted my question in regards to identifying a 2.0 I've already been able to secure a true 3 stud Porsche 2.0 from another member here. Just have to take a long drive and pick it up.

In the last few weeks that I've owned the 914 this site has taught me alot about this car. For that I thank you and hope to learn much much more in the future!

Thanks again

Cheers

Nem
PancakePorsche
To sum it up you are looking for a GC engine code (1975-1976) which should have 3 bolt Porsche heads. This will add value to your car which looks very nice.
Nemisus
QUOTE(PancakePorsche @ Oct 17 2011, 01:39 AM) *

To sum it up you are looking for a GC engine code (1975-1976) which should have 3 bolt Porsche heads. This will add value to your car which looks very nice.

PancakePorsche,

This is good to know! Some time this week I will be picking up a 76 GC coded 2.0 from another member here! Sounds like to me I just got real fortunate to stumble across the place!

Cheers and thanks

Nem
draganc
ups, sorry about the wrong info, I meant GA and not GE. I'm glad a “914 Idiot” corrected me :-).

BTW, there is a used engine for sale in the classified section.
underthetire
Ya, I have a ge in mine. Don't want it!
DBCooper
QUOTE(Nemisus @ Oct 16 2011, 10:37 PM) *

I initially put zero money down to get this 914. I feel like I'm a head of the game at this point!

Remember that statement.
Nemisus
thanks DBCooper,

I'm sure I will
jimkelly
pics for reference

GA case marking and 3 bolt intake stud arrangement on heads = 2.0
jmill
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Oct 18 2011, 08:17 AM) *

I initially put zero money down to get this 914. I feel like I'm a head of the game at this point!

Remember that statement.

av-943.gif Just like I was money ahead getting that free dog at the pound.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(jmill @ Oct 19 2011, 07:50 PM) *

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Oct 18 2011, 08:17 AM) *

Remember that statement.

av-943.gif Just like I was money ahead getting that free dog at the pound.

av-943.gif av-943.gif happy11.gif av-943.gif lol-2.gif welcome.png assimilate.gif
majkos
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Oct 18 2011, 05:17 AM) *

Remember that statement.

lol-2.gif av-943.gif lol-2.gif Yup!
Nemisus
QUOTE(majkos @ Oct 19 2011, 08:20 PM) *

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Oct 18 2011, 05:17 AM) *

Remember that statement.

lol-2.gif av-943.gif lol-2.gif Yup!

You guys/gals are too much! beerchug.gif

So I picked up a 2.0. Will have pics up of it in a little while! Was a good buy... ended up with alot more then I expected from the sale! Stay tuned for pics

Cheers

Nem
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.