Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Classic car insurance...for you autoxers?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cha914
So after getting my new quote from state farm for 335 bucks for 6months on the 914, I decided to check out these classic car ins companies.

I filled out the Hagerty form and got a quote of 178 bucks for a year with no deductible and 8K in coverage...sounds great! But then the next day I get a denial because I "race" the car. I told them that I do occasional auto crosses, and they said they won't cover me in such events because of the risk (fine by me) but that Texas doesn't offer a racing exemption for auto insurance, and so they can't cover me at all.

So, what do you guys do in Texas? I could just tell them that I dont' race, but then I am sure it leaves them a big loophole if I do have a claim and they find out the car has been "raced". Are there other options, or am I screwed paying this crazy rate?

BTW, this is a weekend car for me, and both the wife and I have clean records for 3+ years...and we are both over 25...sounds like I should be able to get some decent coverage.

Thanks for the help guys,

Tony Chavez
lawrencedesigns
Hope I don't open up a can of worms here.

Yes, I have an attitude because I was an SCCA National Driver for 12 years.
But.
Autocrossing is not racing. There is no wheel-to-wheel competition that I am aware of. So technically, it is a "handling demonstration." Get it?

If you tell the insurers that you do autocross, I am sure that their way of looking at things will exempt you.

But if you tell them it is a "weekend driver" you should have no problem.
Of course, if you roll it up into a ball at an autocross, that is your loss, as well it should be. Just like racing.

However, if you want just the normal street coverage, there should be no problem. Just don't tell em how you play..

I have Hagerty on my Alfa and the new Porsche project. I love their rates!
thomasotten
Do any insurance companies have like a "weekend plan", or give you a different rate for liability if it is not your main transportation?
Pnambic
Most do, but they base it on miles driven per year. They'll want odometer readings to verify how many miles you put on the car per year. I think most carriers discount vehicles that get driven less than 5000 or somethimes 3000 miles per year. I haven't heard of "weekend" plans per se, but that's not to say they don't exist.

That racing definition can be dangerous. If your 16 yr old kid gets in an accident "street-light" racing his buddy, I suppose its conceivable that the claim could be denied due to racing the vehicle....I'm not sure on that. confused24.gif
Bleyseng
I just use GW Bush's trick and lie.

Geoff biggrin.gif
jhs914
You mean tell a "Clinton?" He lost his law license because of it remember.

Seriously, don't lie to your insurance company or you might end up worse than Clinton.
cha914
I totally agree that autox isn't racing...but I also don't write policies for ins companies...I just don't want to not get covered if they suspect that I "race" my car.

The agent on the phone said that 37 states have a racing exemption, but texas does not, so they can't cover me at all...I am perfectly fine with them not covering me while on the track, but I guess I will have to lie to them in order to get covered or pay a very high price to cover a car that I drive very little.

I even talked to State Farm about anything they could do to match the hagerty quote, but they said the car had to be basically a garage queen and only come out for parades and shows....whatever...

Any other texas guys out there care to offer up how they cover their cars?

Thanks,

Tony
thomasotten
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jul 27 2004, 04:43 PM)
I just use  GW Bush's trick and lie.

Geoff biggrin.gif

You know I was just watching Bill O-Reily interview Fat-Ass (Michael More). Try to follow his logic: Bush had inteligence pointing to WMDs in iraq, so did the Russians, and so did the British. So Bush acted on that inteligence. That intelligence turned out to be false, so that makes Bush a lier. Someone needs to tell Fat-Ass that by that logic, all the astronomers prior to Galileo were liers. You see, they thought that the earth revolved around the sun, and their best evidence indicated that. But that doesn't matter, they are liers in Micheal More's warped way of thinking.

More is a prime example of a person who has abandoned reason in his arguments.

Toney, Im's in San Antonio, but my car has been on jacks for a while. I will be interested in what you finally go with.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.