Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: copper crush washers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mightyohm
Time for a rant....

Why is it so hard to find copper crush washers??? I am talking about the kind that are hollow inside and you squish flat when you tighten the fitting.

These are NOT specialty parts, they are used everywhere - almost all cars, planes, etc. There are aluminum crush washers too (like on our oil drain plug).

I have looked all over town for these in the past and NOONE has them. Most auto parts stores have never heard of them! None at OSH, Ace, or even the specialty fastener stores (Olander).

McMaster-Carr doesn't even carry them! WTF!? I don't get it!

Ok, this is not for my 914, but I have needed them for the 914 before and eventually gave up (used other types of washers). This time it's for the oil drain plug on my Subaru. I don't want to go to the dealer for a STUPID CRUSH WASHER! Argh! :finger2:

Rant off...
Brad Roberts
OK. So you visited 3 different places that didnt have what you needed... but you KNOW that the dealer has them ??

We have a large selection.

I would have gotten it from the dealer after the first place not having it.

B
mightyohm
Sorry Brad, I wasn't clear. I looked all over for these things about 6 months ago when I needed them for the 914. That's when I found out that they were basically unobtainable which really pissed me off since it's such a simple part. You're right, I should have gone straight to the dealer this time. I really want to buy a box of >10 of them so I will have them on hand. Seems stupid to go to the dealer for a generic piece of hardware (or so I thought).
john rogers
For the copper washers that are used on Weber carb jet holders and float bowl plug I get from Pierce Manifolds. Those buggers are nearly a dollar each! I save them and after use I put them on a steel rod and heat with a torch until red and then let cool to aneal them soft again. They can be used several times this way. In San Diego we have a place called Marshall's Hardware and they have the aluminum washers such as the sump drain cover plug, etc.
mightyohm
The ones that can be annealed are solid copper, correct? The kind I am looking for are actually a hollow copper ring that is much more easily crushed - it is more of a gasket. I used to get the solid kind from Marshall's when I lived in San Diego. I miss that place!
Dave_Darling
Global Metrics in Belmont.
Mister Metric in San Jose.

I've got a good-sized baggie full of 'em that I got from Global Metrics a while back. I think I only have M8; not certain though. Give me a call some time and I'll try to take a look if you still need 'em.

--DD
scotty
Gee...my subaru dealer sold me 12 for $5...but that was 2 oil changes ago (98 and 02 subarus). Now I'm lazy and let them do it.

On my old RX subie, I just reused the dang things 'cause I got tired of going to the dealer all the time. The occasional drip made my 914 feel right at home.
F4i
I can get you the standard AN or MS number if you like. You can order just about any size you need from an aviation parts supply place.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.