Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Drag race a 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pman
Just wondering if anyone has ever drag raced their car. If so what kind of times, and what class were you running in.
Jake Raby
Last summer I pulled a 13.7 @92MPH in my car and went through the lights in 3rd gear at 8,000 RPM... thats a 2316 with 181BHP
physician
hey great times! but any other mods?? weight reduction?

what kind tires??

almost better time than a 2000lbs civic with 200type-r hp.

so i'll say it's a good sleeper!
physician
a srt-4 does 14 flat and a sti subaru does like 13.4

so... clap56.gif burnout.gif driving.gif
SirAndy
otmar drag-races his electric 914. i'm sure he'll chime in ...

http://evcl.com/914/

13.810 seconds at 98.38 mph is not too bad for battery-powered, eh?
burnout.gif Andy
Jake Raby
I was running slicks off my beetle...... boldblue.gif
Mueller
13.810 seconds at 98.38 mph is not too bad for battery-powered, eh?
...and I think that is with his skinny, hard @ss tires....put some drag slicks and I'm sure the numbers would fall smile.gif

i thought Hatfields V8 car did a 10 second pass or damn close to it, they wouldn't let him take another run since he was not running a full cage which is needed for that time/speed range.

as to competively running a 914 or even bracket racing one, I have never heard of anyone drag racing thier 914 enough to be "classed"...the rear suspension is not the best for serious straight ahead dragging....
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jul 27 2004, 05:41 PM)
i thought Hatfields V8 car did a 10 second pass or damn close to it,

he'd better, 500+ RWHP rolleyes.gif
Targa
I have drag raced my 914 before once in NASA VW drag racing. The Rules stated that you must have an air-cooled vw engine and manual trans. Check and check. The director (who raced with us)got wind that I intended on racing my 914 instead of my bug (that I had raced for two years) and did everything in his power to try and stop me. HaHa I got to race it for season points anyway. I think they have since re-written the rules stating specifically that No 914 can play and have fun too. But I proved my point(to many) and quit drag racing as soon as the fun stopped. Oh, I ran 18 flat at 80-85 mph and managed to break a CV joint(with a stock 2.0 for the nay sayers) before the day was done.

V
Mueller
didn't they ban Ghias also?? something about the lighter weight and better aerodynamics.....18 flat??? wake me up when we get there, LOL
kafermeister
Ghias weigh more than a beetle by at least 200lbs. It probably wasn't a weight advantage. They DO have much better aerodynamics than a Beetle.

FWIW, a Ghia is still a full Beetle frame/engine/tranny/suspension under the bodywork. BTDT, put a Beetle body on a Ghia frame w/Beetle pan halves.

18sec quarter. I always wondered what the stock time might be for a 914.

Rick
reverie
Stock 0-60 and 1/4-mile times from the internet:

1970 Porsche 914 (?) - 13.9 19.2
1973 Porsche 914 (?) - 12.5 18.1
1973 Porsche 914S - 10.5 17.0
1974 Porsche 914 2.0 - 8.9 16.6
__

I can't say much for the accuracy of these,
but the 1974 2.0 time seems pretty accurate.
That darn 1st-to-2nd dogleg costs a few tenths.. wink.gif
Otmar
QUOTE(reverie @ Jul 27 2004, 11:09 PM)
That darn 1st-to-2nd dogleg costs a few tenths.. wink.gif

As far as I recall, it doesn't cost you anything as long as you drive it like you stole it. biggrin.gif Which is just what I did in high school.
What's a little metal between friends? If I only had a dollar for every time my passenger said "grind me a pound while you're at it!" ? happy11.gif

Really though, I seem to recall that back when I had a gas 914 and shifted it (without concern for the longetivity of the trans) the 1-2 shift was very fast (unless I hit 3rd, that sucks)

I'd add something useful to this thread but SirAndy has quoted my times with more precision that I usually do. Thanks Andy!
burnout.gif
SLITS
I drag my 914 all the time

I drag it with a rope, I drag it with a chain...............,

Ok, so I have nothing useful to say jester.gif
Targa
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jul 27 2004, 05:26 PM)
.....18 flat??? wake me up when we get there, LOL

No Shit! My bug went 16 flat with a little 1641. Though a stock 2.0 is supposed to go 18.2 . Can't remember where to find the info but that is from PORSCHE. BTW you finish in fourth gear or I did anyway burnout.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.