Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: finally put the new dash in this weekend
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DRPHIL914
piratenanner.gif

Thought id post these pictures, i'll put in the before, during and after tomorrow.

It took a little longer than I thought.
my neck and back are sure sore today! Too much upside down under are the dash!

Also put in new vinyl behind the dash front. Well worth the work and $$$

I would say it is a 5 out of 10 on the do-it-yourself meter.

76-914
thumb3d.gif Looks good man but that steering wheel looks terrible so you'll probablt want to pull it and sell it to me at a greatly reduced price. rolleyes.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 17 2011, 12:47 AM) *

thumb3d.gif Looks good man but that steering wheel looks terrible so you'll probablt want to pull it and sell it to me at a greatly reduced price. rolleyes.gif

Its not a nairdi. It is stamped made in italy, ebay find $50. !!
aktion035.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Oct 16 2011, 09:54 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 17 2011, 12:47 AM) *

Its not a nairdi. It is stamped made in italy, ebay find $50. !!
aktion035.gif

OK OK You drive a hard bargain. I'll give you $60 for it. smoke.gif
clow
Looks great! Do you have green backlight console gauges? That would be sweet unless its a reflection.

Parker
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(clow @ Oct 17 2011, 01:39 AM) *

Looks great! Do you have green backlight console gauges? That would be sweet unless its a reflection.

Parker

They are! Actually they are a choice of 6 other colors too.

nsr-jamie
Looks great !! Is that leather or vinyl ? That is something I really want to do with my car....

May I recommend a Momo prototipo steering wheel for you, that would look sweet in your car
jim_hoyland
Great looking ! smile.gif
SUNAB914
Somebody has been a very busy beaver! Looks great!
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Oct 17 2011, 11:11 AM) *

Looks great !! Is that leather or vinyl ? That is something I really want to do with my car....

May I recommend a Momo prototipo steering wheel for you, that would look sweet in your car

Vinyl.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Oct 17 2011, 12:32 AM) *

piratenanner.gif

Thought id post these pictures, i'll put in the before, during and after tomorrow.

It took a little longer than I thought.
my neck and back are sure sore today! Too much upside down under are the dash!

Also put in new vinyl behind the dash front. Well worth the work and $$$

I would say it is a 5 out of 10 on the do-it-yourself meter.

DRPHIL914
more pics
DRPHIL914
finishing up----
patrick3000
Very nice, thanks for the pictures
pdlightning
QUOTE(patrick3000 @ Oct 17 2011, 12:51 PM) *

Very nice, thanks for the pictures

Also thanks! Now I have something to show my upholstery guy!
Instructions will be to do as bitchen as yours! ( If he is capable!) aktion035.gif
johannes
I vote "Classic"
DRPHIL914
there are a few things i learned doing this for the first time..
1. it is true this would be easier with the window out, but its not impossible. you just have to be careful

2. I got the new foam and vinyl for the back area from Morph and was pretty cheap. it has a material backing, unlike the original that did not. this way it should bond better to the vinyl. I used the 3M spray adhesive, and i did not spray until after i had the pad in place, then lifted up to spray under it, then carefully let it down. This way i did not have to tape off the window.
i repeated this with the vinyl. I just used a dull butter knife with a round end to gently tuck the back edge of the vinyl down along the molding until it was all in line and smooth, then lifted it up to spray the adhesive under it before pressing it down and into place.

3. you do not have to disconnect the gauges. you will see mine hanging there, but be careful. I still had mine marked from when i sent them to Al Garcia for the LED treatment, but i did not disconnect them.

4. the radio has to be pulled out to access 2 nuts., the glove box would be difficult to remove and does not have to be. the 2 nuts on the right side end were very difficult to get out, that one was the worst .

The lower dash has to be removed, as well,

If i had the material, i should have replaced the front dash material as well.- i was going to make a wood dash kit to match my doors but that will have to wait for another day- i was too impatient- i wanted to get it done , so i could drive on monday.
- be careful on the re-install not to strip the nylon threads. I had several that i changed the nuts to steel so that they would hold because the replacement dash had a couple bad screws but i was able to get them to hold.
Materials needed:

-13mm socket - thin walled socket for the end nut.
-various length extensions for the socket wrench
- spray adhesive
-patience
-new dash from 914AP- Morph and Heidi

lots of time spent upside down with my feet hanging out the top, - much easier for the young guys to do this. !

My next project to tackle:
- a new radio with blue tooth and Navigation!
-
(next month maybe)
computers4kids
beerchug.gif agree.gif They do excellent work-worth every penny.
Mark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.