Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 and 914 engine questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
86motoman
I have two questions in regards to engines:

1.) Is the '73 2.4L 911 engine any good?

2.) Where is the best place to get a basic rebuild kit? (i.e. rering and guides) Also what is the prices for this?

Still looking for some low cost 914 projects. Found a guy with a 911 2.4L for sale. I know nothing about Porsche's. Need your help.
86motoman
Found this site for rebuild prices: http://www.motormeister.com/suz/rebuild_ki...ild_kit_911.htm

Now what about the 2.4 engine? What is your guys opinion of this engine?
scotty
Ummm go to the pelican website for more on Motormeister...I honestly can't say yea or nay about them (check the 911 board).

There's a nice engine rebuilding book for sale there too, as well as some items for sale.

Built properly, a 2.4 can be a sweet engine...you can even bump it up to a 2.7 wink.gif

Bring $$$ -- there is no such thing as a "low cost" six project...

...unless your idea of "low cost" is radically different from mine! biggrin.gif
86motoman
QUOTE(scotty @ Jul 27 2004, 08:15 PM)

Bring $$$ -- there is no such thing as a "low cost" six project...

Yah...that's was a concern....for now thinking low cost.
lapuwali
There are several different '73 2.4 911 engines, so you've not really provided enough data.

The 911T engine is the lowest spec: iron cylinders, mildest cam, smallest ports. About 140hp. Came in two forms in the US: early has MFI, late has CIS. (MFI = Bosch mechanical fuel injection, CIS = Bosch Continuous fuel injection, aka K-Jet). Most common and cheapest engine from '73.

The 911S engine is the highest spec: pretty wild cams and about 190hp. All US spec engines had MFI.

The 911E engine falls in between: 165hp and MFI.

MFI has lots of street cred, but is quite expensive to service and rebuild. There are very few shops in the US (like two) that can rebuild these, and the pricetag was $1500 5 years ago. CIS is milder and basically requires little in the way of rebuilding, but something of a pain to fit into a 914. The CIS on the 73 was the first fitting of this fuel injection to any US spec car, and differs from all other K-Jet fittings, so there are some unique and unreplaceable parts.

Many people fit carbs (Weber 40IDA3s, or Zeniths) to replace the fuel injection, esp. when swapping into a 914. If you look at the casting number on the bottom of the case (just beneath the oil return tubes), check to see if the last two digits are 7R. If so, this indicates one of the later, stronger cases, and is generally more desireable.

I had a '73 914 with a '73 911T CIS engine in it for about a year. Nice engine with a great torque curve, and it sounded great. Sold it as a new job demanded too much time to do work on it myself, and the rebuild it required ran $10K, which I didn't want to spend. Motor Meister does low-quality rebuilds; this really is something where you get what you pay for.

You can build up a Four to roughly the same power levels as one of the smaller Sixes for about the same amount of money, and a lot less hassle.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(86motoman @ Jul 27 2004, 07:13 PM)
1.) Is the '73 2.4L 911 engine any good?

2.) Where is the best place to get a basic rebuild kit? (i.e. rering and guides) Also what is the prices for this?

all 911 engines are good; some are better than others, especially for any particular purpose. '73 was the first year of the 2,4 - in the US, anyway. the 2,4 is basically a stroked 2,2 and the compression was radically reduced across the board - they are 'regular gas' engines. they are also 30 years old ... they had approximately the same HP ratings as the 2,2's but more torque. they're built on the same case and use the same crank as the 2,7

in round numbers, an approximately stock rebuild for a pre-3,0 will run you $6000, plus or minus maybe $1500 depending on how much work you can do yourself, what parts you can re-use, and what parts you can't resist "improving."

IMO - you need a REAL GOOD REASON (like you want to compete in a particular displacement-limited class) to consider any engine under a 3,0 911SC. MFI is not a great choice in a 914 - it essentially demands you cut access holes on the firewall to make adjustments.

get Bruce Anderson's "911 Performance Handbook" and Pelican Wayne's 911 Rebuild book. check the Pelican and Performance Products sites, and definitely get the catalog and price list from Engine Builders Supply in Reno - they advertise in the Panorama. there are other more specific recommendations if you find yourself travelling down this path. if you don't - it won't matter.

a big 4 will get you on the road faster, with less hassle, and probably for no more real money - especially if you're looking at converting a /4.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.