Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 8's on Front or 7's?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wndsrfr
OK...I'm doing DE's & am getting to threshold on braking with Star Spec 205/16's front & 225/16's on rear mounted on 6's & 7's Boxster rims. I'm going to 7's & 8's so that I can mount 225's on front for more bite on braking and turn-in rotation. I've been running 32psi to start on all 4 corners & typically build to 36 all around in a 20-25 minute session at VIR & Summit Point.
Here's the question for any folks with experience--is it better to mount the 8's on front to get what I want?
SirAndy
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Oct 17 2011, 01:06 PM) *
is it better to mount the 8's on front to get what I want?

7" and 8" is a good combo. The factory used spacers in the front and so should you. biggrin.gif

However, i personally think 8" and 9" works even better.
A lot of people will tell you to stay away from 8" or bigger in the front. Usually because they complain about "steering effort".

Personally, i never had any trouble steering with 9"+ front tires. Maybe my arms are just bigger. laugh.gif

patrick3000
If $$$ are an issue go with eights square, the fronts will wear faster than the rears and you can buy new tires is sets of two istead of four. Move the old tires to the front and put the new ones on the rear.
drgchapman
I agree with Andy, 8's in front, 9's in the rear. 225, 245 tires. I'm using the 951 8x16 Fuchs which have a better offset for the front, allows spacers to clear the suspension and the fenders.

If you are only building 4psi in a 20-25 minute session, you should be driving harder, should see 8-10 lbs build in that time frame. smile.gif
Eddie914
" ... the fronts will wear faster than the rears ..." What am I doing wrong? My 245/45/16 rears on 9's wear about twice as fast as the 225/50/16 fronts on 8's.

The inside of the inside rear tire gets the hottest and wears the fastest ... I know ... the car needs a LSD

Cheers,

Eddie
SirAndy
QUOTE(Eddie914 @ Oct 17 2011, 05:06 PM) *
What am I doing wrong? ... I know ... the car needs a LSD

There's your answer! I know, i'm in the same boat. Rears wear faster because the rear tires spin every time i come out of a corner.

driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.