Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Has anyone found a good gas cap gaket replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
moparrob
I guess it makes sense that after 35 years the gasket in the gas cap would rot out. I don't want this gasket dropping any more debris into my tank, so I cut out the old gasket.

Does anyone make a rubber replacement or does anyone know if a cork or rubber one is still available?

Thanks
moparrob
I see this one for the plastic cap but for some reason I think the 75-76 are different...

new gasket for plastic cap

Does anyone know for sure if it will work or not?
moparrob

Also found this one....

another gasket
Steve
70-73 is diferent. AA sells a cheap ugly replacement but it works.
http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-parts/p...?pn=343201551#a
moparrob
Hmmm, I have a 74. Which one works for mine?
moparrob
It looks like AA sells the entire cap but not just the gasket
Steve
If its a screw on cap the gasket you listed will work. If its a bayonet type gas cap afaik you have to buy the whole cap.
moparrob
I've got the bayonet type.

Really?

Why can't someone make a simple rubber seal which could be fit back under the 3 lugs of the bayonet mount? I looks like there is plenty of room to slide one in?
bigkensteele
QUOTE(moparrob @ Oct 17 2011, 07:46 PM) *

I've got the bayonet type.

Really?

Why can't someone make a simple rubber seal which could be fit back under the 3 lugs of the bayonet mount? I looks like there is plenty of room to slide one in?

You should email Mark (aka Mikey914) at 914rubber.com. He is always looking for new stuff to produce. It may not happen soon enough for your need, but it would help the community! smile.gif
moparrob
Great idea. Will do.
Mikey914
Simple part, just need a template to design tooling for. I figure 10 days. Most of that time will be wating for a sample the tooling will take me about 2 days tops.

$2.99 each on a group buy.
Who needs them? No cash yet, just sign up if you are interested.
McMark
I'll take 5.
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 18 2011, 08:43 PM) *

I'll take 5.

agree.gif
moparrob
PM sent. I can send you an old gasket as a template if that helps.
pilothyer
Several please...........Jerry
Mr.242
+3

Wahoo...
bandjoey
sean_v8_914
Dude! you are the man.
i'm in for 5
sean_v8_914
just make a whole 914, you're more than half way there
strawman
I will take two!
DNHunt
I'll take 2.

Dave
SLITS
In for 5 ....

Are they a foot long? icon8.gif
tradisrad
I'm in for 2 of 'em. Please PM when avaliable!
mikea100
I'll take 2.
Brett W
Back when I was daily driving my car, I was constantly having issues with the leaking cap seal. I bought a new cap, no change, tried two gaskets, no luck, tried a piece of rubber over the whole filler neck, no luck. The only solution I found was to run it below half tank if you are going to be doing and hard driving. It annoyed me to no end. I figured the only solution was to bolt on the later model 75-76 screw on caps.

Would be interesting to see if a solution could be found for the early setup, as the new car as has that style fillerneck.
Rotary'14
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 18 2011, 08:37 PM) *

Simple part, just need a template to design tooling for. I figure 10 days. Most of that time will be wating for a sample the tooling will take me about 2 days tops.

I want 2 also!

-Robert
Steve
I will take four!!
championgt1
I will take two!!
mharmon
I'm in for 2
rtalich
Two for me please.
02loftsmoor
put me on your list just starting on my 914

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 18 2011, 10:37 PM) *

blitZ
If these are for late models, I'll take two.

Thanks
eric9144
Brand new fuel caps with seal, $30:
http://www.356devotion.com/914-4FuelCap.html

Looks identical to the one on my '74
toolguy
Mark. . I'll take 3 for the early gas cap. . . and can you make the same seal for the 914-6 oil cap. It's 36 mm x 50 mm. . ???
Dave
roadster fan
I will take two.

Mark you are the MAN!

Jim
Mikey914
QUOTE(toolguy @ Oct 19 2011, 09:37 AM) *

Mark. . I'll take 3 for the early gas cap. . . and can you make the same seal for the 914-6 oil cap. It's 36 mm x 50 mm. . ???
Dave

Uhh....Yes
Vysoc
Hello World,

If it will work with the late style gas tanks, I will take 5. My wife hates the smell of gasoline and I could never get the seals to work as they all cracked.

Wonder how she is going to like the smell of the new powerplant 2.5 flat six with Zeniths, that car is going to smell like gas every night of the week. Too bad for her.

I still want 5.

Thanks,

Vysoc flag.gif
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Vysoc @ Oct 19 2011, 05:12 PM) *

Hello World,

If it will work with the late style gas tanks, I will take 5. My wife hates the smell of gasoline and I could never get the seals to work as they all cracked.

Wonder how she is going to like the smell of the new powerplant 2.5 flat six with Zeniths, that car is going to smell like gas every night of the week. Too bad for her.

I still want 5.

Thanks,

Vysoc flag.gif

The subject gasket of this post will not fit a '75/6. Late cars have a plastic overflow tank and a screw on cap. The later design is superior in my opinion, but the weakness is the stupid paper gasket that the tank screws down on. They always crack. Rubber would help seal the smell, but my guess on why they use paper is that the fuel system is designed to operate with negative pressure and it might be too difficult to remove the cap if the seal were rubber, and a vacuum had formed inside the tank. That is just my theory. Otherwise, I can think of no reason why a rubber seal would not be a better solution.
wertygrog
2 for me!!!
Gint
I'm in for two.
Mikey914
Just for clarification.
These will be in production shortly-
Early gas cap seal
Late gas cap seal
914-6 cap seal

BigDBass
2 for me I guess!
Mikey914
Done - PMs sent. I'll start a group buy thread to let all know.

Also did the late ones at the same time as the water-jet was already fired up.
moparrob
You're awesome
jim_hoyland
Are you doing the gasket for the plastic 1975 cap ?
Mikey914
Yes
moparrob
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 19 2011, 06:00 PM) *

QUOTE(toolguy @ Oct 19 2011, 09:37 AM) *

Dave

Uhh....Yes

Please start a new thread if and when you get around to making the 914-6 oil cap seals as I will need one also.

Thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.