Germany
Denmark
Sweden
Czech Republic
Austria
Switzerland
Italy

Now I’m in Aosta, Italy for a week.

The original plan was to ship my RS America back to California at the end of October. That’s changed. Now I’m going to spend the winter in Italy and Spain and maybe end the tour around November next year.

My insurance covers me in 29 countries and the custom laws in Europe allow you to visit each country for 4 months out of 12.

I drove Davos Pass through the Swiss Alps yesterday. What a drive. San Bernardino Pass isn’t far from Aosta so that’s on the list. There are a lot of mountain roads around Aosta, sounds like a plan.

I have no idea where I’m going next. This whole trip has been a exercise of winging it. I have rarely known what I’m going to do more than a few days in advance, I love it. A friend suggested Como, ok, it could happen.

See ya, Don
BajaXJ92
Must be nice to have that kind of freedom, money and time. beerchug.gif
rick 918-S
Hi Don!

Please post lots of photos when you can. How is it finding lodging on the fly? How is the dollar fairing? What are the fuel costs compared to the states?
Andyrew
Keep living the dream!

Just be sure to post pics smile.gif
DonTraver
Let’s see, fuel costs, paid about $56 today for 6 gallons of premium. I never know the exact cost until it show up on my credit card. The exchange rate changes a lot.

I try not to think about the cost of gas, ya gotta have it, nothing you can do about it, so just pay it and move on.

The internet is what makes a tour like I’m doing possible. With it I can either go where I plan to or change my mind at a moments notice and head the other way.

Like say for instance Munich during October fest. Hotel rooms quadruple or more. A 100 Euro room goes up to over 1200 Euros a night. I can find plenty of other places with 1200 Euros and have more fun.

If you’d like to see all my pictures from this years tour and last years tour go here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2010-2011_european_tour

This year’s tour will all have 2011 as part of the title.
r_towle
Would you consider sharing the costs of transportation to get your car over and back?
This seems like a trip I would really like to convince my wife to take with me.

Rich
DonTraver
I rented a 20 foot container. That way you can pack extra stuff in it and it will get there without being pilfered or damaged. It costs more, but if you just order a container, it will be a 40 footer. Then they will not ship until they get another car going to the same port. Could take months.

The cost round trip is between $8000-9000. But our wonderful government will add $1700 to that. First they x-ray your car, then put the drug & bomb dogs on it. That's $200. If it passes that, they say, we need a personal search, that's $1250. But they keep your car long enough that you have to pay extra storage fees. So once again get ready to get screwed by your government. The truth is, it's all about the money. Oh yeah, if you bitch, they can give you back your car in pieces.

It takes 1 day to clear in England. 3-4 weeks in the good ole USA.

The biggest problem is getting insurance. To get a insurance policy over here, you have to have a local address. If you don't, forget it.

I use USAA. But you have to be active or retired military or have someone in your family that is and has a policy with them, then they can add you to the policy. I'm retired Navy. I never knew how handy that would become. I checked with a lot of insurance companies in the US, none of them would cover me in Europe.

It took me years to put this all together. If there's anything I can do to help you put your own dream together, let me know.

Later, Don

r_towle
Wow,
Well, what would it cost to rent a porsche for a month?
Seems like it would be cheaper in the long run...haha

Rich
DonTraver
6 years ago the price from Avis for a Porsche was $500 a day, 120 kms per day, 1 Euro for anything over 120 kms. Plus you pay for the gas. Adds up fast.

Heck, I drove over 750kms yesterday, Munich to Davos to Aosta.

That would be $500 + 630 Euros + 116 Euros for gas. Or $500 + $1230 = $1529 for 1 day. Doesn't sound so expensive now does it?

Or $11000 shipping divided by 17 months = $647 per month on shipping. Plus I pay for maintenance, tires, and gas and I'd do that back in the US anyway.

Plus you can't put a price tag on driving your own car on the Nurburging, blasting down the Autobahn at 160 mph, or touring Europe with a RS America with California Licience Plates.

That's the math.

Later, Don
r_towle
maybe I will buy a car over there and drive it around for a while....
Saves half the shipping...

Rich
DonTraver
Buying a car over here is easy, the insurance isn't and every car is required to get a full inspection every year. Not at all like the US.

Unless you can prove residency, you can't get insurance, you can't open a bank account, you can't cash a check, you can't convert American Express Travelers Checks and the list goes on. Ask me how I know.

I was talking to a Priest in York when I was visiting the York Minster Cathedral few months ago. He wanted to spend a year in Austria when he retired in a few months. He couldn't get his insurance company in England to cover him more than 1-2 months outside England.
DonTraver
Look I'm not trying to be a smartass. I spent 7 years putting this together. I talked to every customs department over here. Numerous insurance companies.

Do you need any medicines, then you might need a special import licience.

Do you know the traffic laws in each country? I assure you they are all different, I got a ticket in Sweden for parking. I paid the meter, but I didn't have a resident sticker on the car, not being able to read Swedish is no excuse. Got pulled over in Czech Republic for not having a Vignette, they take Mastercard, you pay right now.

Oh and never ever ever say, "It's not like that in America", you can watch the fine skyrocket if you do, if you're lucky that's all that will happen, if you're not lucky, you'll be in the back of the squad car. Just smile and pay the money.

I am a Foreigner in Their country, I never forget that. I've jumped through a lot of hoops to do this. Is it worth it, damn right it is. but there is a whole lot to learn.

I'm not saying I know it all, but I know enough that I'm living a dream most people will never realize.

I'm a lucky guy, but good luck is usually preceded by a lot of work. The good news is it didn't cost me a dime to get any of the liciences or information I needed. When I got the last approvals is when it got expensive.

Or as my friend Henrick H. in Germany says, "I don't want to be the richest guy in the cementary". I want to burn it up, turn it up, and slide into home and say What a Ride. Too bad I had to wait until I was in my 60's.

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now. Truth is if I can do it, so can anyone else.

Good Luck, Don
trojanhorsepower
Don.

I hope you continue to have a fantastic trip and thank you for sharing it with us.

Sounds like all your hard work and planning are paying off. I would love to do a
chowtime.gif and beer3.gif tour of the world some day.
Dr Evil
Don, I cant believe that we used to be neighbors smile.gif You are way too special to have lived next to me wink.gif
ptravnic
Badass
nsr-jamie
Come to Japan next beer.gif
AZ914
You, sir, are my hero.
DonTraver
So I'm special, lol, right. When we were neighbors I was still gathering information and had no idea I'd be able to pull it off. At the beginning I had a lot of people tell me I'd never be able to do it, so I stopped talking about it and just did it. Boy were they surprized when I did, truth be told, so was I.

Here's some pictures from the trip. I'll try to get them in order.

Liepzig Porsche Werks

Fortress in Luxembourg

York Air Museum

Starting gate at the Nurburgring

Castle in England

The Castle used in the Harry Potter Movies (Alwick Castle)

Porsche Museum Gmund, Austria-Birth Place of Porsche

Henrik & Marie's Guesthouse, they let me use it when ever I show up. They have a huge family estate with a couple of lakes, forest, horses. Henrik has a RS America, I made him a special set of RS America Emblems for the engine lid. Porsche stopped making them several years ago. I needed some, so I figured out how to make them.

Enjoy, Don
BKLA
So friggen' cool! PLEASE keep up informed.

I love it!!!!!!
Dr Evil
The irony is I would never be one to dissuade you from this. I am glad you are doing it and sharing. Could happen to a nicer guy wink.gif
markb
QUOTE(AZ914 @ Oct 19 2011, 08:20 AM) *

You, sir, are my hero.

agree.gif
DonTraver
I went out and got lost in the Alps yesterday. I have no Idea where I went, but drove almost 300kms. I love to do that.

Here's a couple pictures from the drive.

914outlaw
Thanks for sharing these moments. Those pictures are amazing. Are you getting around with a GPS or the old school way with maps.
majkos
This is so cool! aktion035.gif

Thank you for taking the time to share your dream come true!

I really like that you're enjoying fall like here in Colorado
DonTraver
I carry them all. Garmin and Tom Tom GPS, maps, Microsoft Autoroute 2010.

Here's a website you might like:

http://www.nuerburgring.de/en/angebote/dri...rdschleife.html

Tourist Rides means it's open to anyone with anything.
skota
excellent trip, thanks for sharing!
DonTraver
Took off this morning for San Bernardino Pass in Switzerland. Incredible drive.

Here's some pictures of the drive.

Don
BKLA
I love this thread!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.