Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: changing alt belt
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jaymann
Just lost the alt belt,can someone help me out with the procedure to replace it??I got a jack, and new belt and tools in the trunk.ThAnks in advance Jason from PA
VaccaRabite
Easy!
Open the engine lid. On the drivers side of the tin there is a port you can open above the alternator. This hides a bolt that allows the alternator to pivot. It is the belt tensioner, and should be loosened and the alternator pushed towards the fan.

Install the belt around the fan and alternator pulley.

Push the alt down and away from the fan and tighten up the bolt you loosened in order to retention the belt. It should be tight but not overly tight. You should be able to deflect the belt about 1/2 an inch by pushing on it with your thumb.

Thats it.

The bolt you need to loosen is a star point bolt (or triple square). Some cars have them changed out to allen head bolt. If you need star point bits, you can find them at Autozone.

Zach
VaccaRabite
By the way Jaymann,
Most of my family on my mom's side comes from Drexel Hill PA.

Zach
Jaymann
Zach:Thanks for the help,it worked perfect.I can get home now!!! I really appriciate the help!!! Jason from PA
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 18 2011, 12:00 PM) *

Easy!
Open the engine lid. On the drivers side of the tin there is a port you can open above the alternator. This hides a bolt that allows the alternator to pivot. It is the belt tensioner, and should be loosened and the alternator pushed towards the fan.

Install the belt around the fan and alternator pulley.

Push the alt down and away from the fan and tighten up the bolt you loosened in order to retention the belt. It should be tight but not overly tight. You should be able to deflect the belt about 1/2 an inch by pushing on it with your thumb.

Thats it.

The bolt you need to loosen is a star point bolt (or triple square). Some cars have them changed out to allen head bolt. If you need star point bits, you can find them at Autozone.

Zach

Interesting. Every 914 on which I've ever had to touch that fastener has been equipped with an Allen head bolt. New ones, old ones, molested and unmolested, all the same. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen a triple square head bolt in that length (8x35).

The Cap'n
VaccaRabite
Cap,
I am not saying that the bolt on mine was original.
I am saying that I removed a triple square from that location and replaced it with an allen head when I removed all the triple squares from my car.

Given that I know triple square bolts were used on these cars, I assumed it was orginal.

Zach
TheCabinetmaker
Just curious, why did you remove all the triple square bolts? My experience has seen the allens round out much easier than the trips.
VaccaRabite
Because I got sick of needing to weld the star bits to the star bolts when the bits stripped out or the old star bolts stripped out.

I know not everyone will agree with that choice, but I made it all the same. I felt more comfortable with new hardware and tools that I had, rather then old hardware and tools that I had to keep replacing when I could not find quality units.

Zach
76-914
Thank goodness it wasn't a GC w/ the EGR pump pully.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.