Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Suby FI question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
If I was to find a turbo charged 2.0 liter subaru motor, could I remove the turbo, intake throttle body, sensors, harness, intercooler etc etc...ECU also, and with fabrication bolt that onto an aircooled 2.0 liter motor and have it work?

Figure I take everything I need...dont get bogged down in that part of the question.

My question is more focused on the ECU and any modification to that ECU and mapping (plus sensors) that I would need to do in order for it to work properly.

Any Subaru Turbo guys out there?
Can the ECU be re-mapped to work?

Oh, what car has a 2.0 liter turbo motor?
I am considering buying one of them cheap...strip it and junk the car...

Rich
wobbletop
US WRX from 02-05 was a 2.0L turbo motor. Went to 2.5L in 06 although it sounds like you just want the turbo/intercooler/etc.

bfrymire
Rich,

Sound like too much work for the amount saved on components.

In other words, the air temp sensor, the turbo, throttle body, injectors should work. But the water temp sensor would not work, without more work than is neccessary. And the ECU is set up for a much different motor. And you would not be able to calibrate the sensors if you use a non subaru sensor. And I don't think the subaru Fuel rails will work.

if you look around, you can find the stock wrx turbo's really cheap, I have seen them under $100. GM sensors are cheap, cheap, cheap.

The most expensive part will be the ECU, but you can also find them lower than retail. I bought a Link G3 ECU for $600 for example.

Not sure if I answered your question or not. Just trying to help.

smile.gif

-- brett
a914622
Will it work? well yes and no. All the sti pre 10 and wrx pre 03 can be reflashed, but there is a cam sensor and a crank sensor on the wrx not to mention the water temp sensor. the turbo is also water cooled. then you need to figure out the knock sensor that Im sure would freak out on an aircooled .

Im sure a megasquirt under boost would be easer and more cost effective!

But I know a guy that could use a ecu and harness and intake and turbo and water cross over tube drooley.gif (my 2.2 needs them)

jcl
ruby914
Rich,

I am not 100% sure what your getting at and I am not a tuner but I have flipped some switches in my WRX ECU and I can lead you to people that can tell you far more than I.
I put together some links for the tools I used to read, edit and flash my ECU. I was very happy with Romraider and the support from the community.
You may want to post your question at the Romraider forum. They are very helpfull.

"RomRaider is a free, open source tuning suite created for viewing, logging and tuning of modern Subaru Engine Control Units. The intuitive tuning interface and powerful datalogger are modelled to be familiar to experienced professional tuners while providing all the power of expensive commercial products, without license fees. "

http://www.tactrix.com/

http://www.tactrix.com/index.php?option=co...6&Itemid=58

http://romraider.com/

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1410201

ruby914
PS, I think the answer you will get is... yes.
r_towle
very cool,
Let me take a look at that..see what I can modify for inputs....

Rich
partwerks
Along those lines, can a 04 WRX's computer be reflashed and if so, what kind of ponies can it be set to?
ruby914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 19 2011, 02:34 PM) *

very cool,
Let me take a look at that..see what I can modify for inputs....

Rich

Let us know what you find out.
DukeTrout
A key question is, will the Suby ECU be able to adjust enough to compensate for a high-compression engine? There is a huge difference in the compression ratios between a N/A Suby engine and a turbo one. Applying the turbo, well, anything to a naturally-aspirated one is a recipe for boom unless you're also changing out the internals to anticipate the problem.

Then there's all the other things mentioned above - water cooling/sensors, crank and cam sensors that the ECU is looking for information from. Don't forget that the turbo is both water and oil cooled, and even if you solve for the coolant pressure for the turbo, the turbo is going to suck up a lot of oil pressure that the engine probably needs...

I like a challenge as much as the next guy, but this seems beyond getting a square peg to fit a round hole.
a914622

Oh ya the subaru use a different fireing order and the spark and injection would need some flipping and flopping.

The wrx ecu in 04 can NOT be reflashed. The sti in 04 can be. after 03 Only one modle per manufacture can have an "open" ecu. subaru chose the sti

Yes the wrx can handle the added pressure of the turbo. the suby guys push 20 psi all the time.

jcl
mark21742
It should be able to be made to work.....crank and cam sensors can use external trigger wheels, your water temp should be able to run off of your oil temp signal (modified by resistors to give the right voltage range) injector and ignition timing can be adjusted by swapping some plugs around, and you could run a small electric water pump for the water cooled turbo (seen lots of people just plug the input and output water and run without them, but then you have to warmup and cool down before and specialties after running hard to reduce bearing cokeing in the turbo).

So, yes with alittle time and trial you can do it
wobbletop
QUOTE(a914622 @ Oct 22 2011, 12:22 AM) *

The wrx ecu in 04 can NOT be reflashed. The sti in 04 can be. after 03 Only one modle per manufacture can have an "open" ecu. subaru chose the sti

jcl

Ummm... what? There is free software to program any Subaru from '02 and up.
ruby914
[/quote]

[/quote]

Open ECU support...
with Romraider:
http://www.romraider.com/Documentation/SupportedECUs
I am sure all listed can be flashed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.