Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speaker size for enclosures?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Davey Cracker
I just got some of the black plastic speaker enclosures that mount to the kick panels
and I need speakers for them.. Can anyone tell me what size speakers I should look for? The grills seemed to be shaped like a 6x9, but I think that size would be to large?

Thank you for any info,
Dave
ptravnic
QUOTE(Davey Cracker @ Oct 19 2011, 01:59 AM) *

I just got some of the black plastic speaker enclosures that mount to the kick panels
and I need speakers for them.. Can anyone tell me what size speakers I should look for? The grills seemed to be shaped like a 6x9, but I think that size would be to large?

Thank you for any info,
Dave

If they are the stock enclosures, they fit 4x6. If you want to modify but still keep a rather stock look, a member vendor sells a fiberglass enclosure that mounts in the stock location but will allow for larger, but round, speakers.

Do a search and you'll find a ton. Here's the website: 914 Appearance & Performance

Good luck.
-pt

cobra94563
I put some inexpensive 5x7 but had to trim some of the frame of the speaker to get it to fit.
underthetire
I made a MDF adapter plate, painted it flat black and put some 4 1/2 panasonic 2 ways in. Lots of ways to skin that cat.
andys
The PO put in 5x7's. The holes didn't quite line up, so he used some sheet metal screws and managed to bugger-up the threaded brass inserts. From looking at speaker choices, it really depends on the stamped metal frame of the speaker. The 5x7's with a square'ish type frame will not fit, however the ones with the more rounded frame seem ok.

Andys
JmuRiz
I used some 4x6 Infinity Kappa plate speakers...seem to do the trick. I also have some of the 6.5" pods I have yet to install...probably because I usually just listen for things that sound wrong with my car, haha.
Valy
$50 and you're set.

See how I did it here

And you're lucky since the speakers are still available
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Clarion-SRC579...fc#ht_606wt_872
Davey Cracker
QUOTE(Valy @ Oct 19 2011, 10:22 AM) *

$50 and you're set.

See how I did it here

Thank you for your responses everyone. beerchug.gif

Valy, thanks for the info and link.. My question is how do they sound? I know it's pretty subjective, but I wonder if you get anything besides highs from them? Any mid/bass at all from them?

Also, do they have built in crossovers?

Thanks again!
Dave
cwpeden
I know its off topic but I have a pair of these mounted under the front of the seats facing forwards. 8 years and they still sound good.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pioneer-TSX200-S...3#ProductDetail

Also have 4x6's in the kick panels but have ripped out the heater tubes and therefore took out those speakers.
Valy
QUOTE(Davey Cracker @ Oct 20 2011, 10:36 PM) *

QUOTE(Valy @ Oct 19 2011, 10:22 AM) *

$50 and you're set.

See how I did it here

Thank you for your responses everyone. beerchug.gif

Valy, thanks for the info and link.. My question is how do they sound? I know it's pretty subjective, but I wonder if you get anything besides highs from them? Any mid/bass at all from them?

Also, do they have built in crossovers?

Thanks again!
Dave

There is a crossover between the twitter and the bigger speaker.
They sound very nice compared to anything else that I've seen. It has a metal membrane so it can push relatively nice bass, but remember that those are not subs.

I'm very impressed with their performance. Keep in mind that those were over $200 few years ago and go for cheap only because model change.

The problem with the car is that the wind will kill any sound system you may have.

I use my radio mainly for bluetooth with my phone and GPS and I can hear the GPS clearly at any speed. I can also hear the phone clearly but no one can hear me above 40-50mph.

I'm 100% sure that you won't find anything better than these for the stock grill, regardless of the price.

johannes
See how I did it Here ... Every easy to find 4x6 speaker will fit with the help of a bit of cardboard.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=54611

Yes, it works !
underdog
QUOTE(Davey Cracker @ Oct 18 2011, 10:59 PM) *

Thank you for any info,
Dave

The size is 4"x6".
andys
What's the screw thread size of the brass inserts in the plastic housing?

Andys
Davey Cracker
Thank you for all your help everyone.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.