Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT, 911 Hell hole?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
underthetire
There is a outside chance I might be picking up a mid 80's carrara Cabi for not much money. Not holding my breath, but i would like to be informed before and if I decide. Is there typical areas on the 911's like the 914's i should watch out for?
Thanks
type47
Not sayin' they don't have rust spots but '78 and later should be fully galvanized bodies... so less rust....
Phoenix-MN
front suspension pan (battery acid rust out)
Rear seat pan (leaky rear window)
scotty b
QUOTE(Phoenix-MN @ Oct 19 2011, 08:04 AM) *

front suspension pan (battery acid rust out)
Rear seat pan (leaky rear window)

agree.gif Those are the main ones. In addition to that, is one you can't see with the fenders on the car, near the cowl they tend to rot out. But like I said, you can't see that with the fenders on. Pic is of one I just did. then there are the headlight buckets. suspension pan repairs can get ugly, and quite costly.

http://kahikocustoms.com/wordpress/?p=102
peteyd
The water would sit on the rear window causing the rear window corners to rot, which causes the parcel shelf to rot and the rear seats bottoms.

Front suspension pan from the battery acid, which was mentioned, and then usually the gas tank support will need to be done at the same time.

Floor pans, and rockers.

beech4rd
There's an area above the front bumper mounting bracket where mud tends to collect. Sometimes leads to rust in that area.

Chris
Eric_Shea
71 and later had galvanized pans. 76 and later had full galvanized bodies.

Agree with and echo what has been said. Suspension pan and rear window/seats. Both are less of an issue with the era car you're looking at.
r_towle
around the windshield leaks and that creates issues inside also.

The main thing about the 3.2 (if that is what you are looking at) is the idle surging.
Its simple to fix....just takes some troubleshooting.
Turns many people off and lots of people throw cubic dollars at the car to get it fixed....

Also, the 3.2 can go for many miles...go look at the pelican thread on hihg mileage cars...most of the 200k plus cars are 3.2 motors.

Also, go look up C.R.A.P on pelican parts bbs....
I have an 84 cab....its a great car.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.