Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What car has the cheapest motor ? (914) ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thelogo

I've noticed alot of 1.7 and various other 1.8's for super cheap . { my teener is a 1.7

This is great , My 914 could go forever with a good spare engine

Since I'm not looking for performance just longevity . I should be able to get

longblocks pretty cheap

What other cars are as cool as a 914 and have super cheap motors . ???

PanelBilly
912s are easy to get these days
Andyrew
Not the answer your looking for but a honda crx is about the most fun $$/mile car out there...
VaccaRabite
As cool as a 914 with cheap motors?

Leaving aside the definition of cool - too subjective...

Late 80s/90s non-top end "sports" cars. Thinking like Firebirds, etc, but with the 4 or 6 cylinder motors. There are TONS of them out there, and folks tear the little engines out to install the v8s.

Almost all 90s era honda civics / accords (some people think they are cool)

Zach

stugray
80's 280ZXs were excellent cars and you can find them in good shape running for ~$2000.
The engines were almost as bullet-proof as the Supras.

Stu
TargaToy
The 80's 280Z's are indeed cool but they rot out around here for the same reasons the 914's did.

I'm partial to the 80's Hondas myself. Tough as nails and worthless. An 87 CRX Si was one of my favorite fixer-upper's and the motors are indeed cheap. I bought a used brown top D16 (1.6 liter DOHC) for like $300 for the motor and transaxle which would have been a direct bolt-in for the car and upped the hp at least 20.

A guy at work is into Festivas (again, definitions of "cool" are subjective) b/c there are evidently cheap turbo swaps from other types of donor cars. His is turbo with MS and very fast.
Dr Evil
I would love to pimp out a Festiva. I took my drive test in one smile.gif Almost a motorcycle.
jimkelly
i bought a festiva new and drove it 175,000 miles and i hear jay leno has one with a ford sho negine in it.

that said - if your engine is good - no need for a spare, since a rebuild will require alot of machining of your existing heads and block and a lot if new parts.

jim ( hoarder )
Drums66
.....I think Ford has come back out with it?....no idea.gif (festiva)
bye1.gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.