Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gas Burners!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JawjaPorsche
I always regretted not getting the optional Mahle wheels when I purchased my teener in 73. I always thought the stock hub caps were kinda lame.

I was able to find these wheels on Ebay. Because the seller was only about 70 miles from here, I saved $150 shipping. I got five wheels and almost new tires for only $349! The teener looks 100% better!

Ralphie, my Plott Hound, likes em…..
SirAndy
I have always liked the gasburners. 4lug and 5lug. Great wheels! first.gif
pt_700
amazing what wheels do for the looks of a car.

looking good!
thelogo
wheels and tire's can be the best upgrades on these cars

i mean they are only the connection between you and the road , go figure
BigDBass
Mahles are my favorite in 4- and 5-lug. When I see 5-lug Mahle gas burners I want to steal them. Then I'd have to do 5-lug conversion when I got out of jail.

Sounds like you got a good deal too!
johannes
Those are my favourites !!! ...

poorsche914
Great find and what a deal piratenanner.gif

driving.gif
flipb
I was lucky, when I found my 914 locally, that it had original Mahles.

IPB Image

They're light-weight, too. Not as light as the 5-lug Mahles though - I think those were magnesium? (I've always considered only the 5-lugs to be called Gasburners)
Rand
Nice score. That was a great deal.

When I bought my parts car, the fact it had Mahle's on it clinched the deal in a heartbeat. They'll be going on my driver.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(flipb @ Oct 20 2011, 01:07 PM) *
They're light-weight, too. Not as light as the 5-lug Mahles though - I think those were magnesium? (I've always considered only the 5-lugs to be called Gasburners)

I've also only thought of the five-lug ones as Gasburners.

Those were magnesium alloy, and only weighed something like 9 lbs? Might have been even less.

There are repro five-lug 'burners made for the Bug world. They're cast aluminum, and rather heavy as I recall.

--DD
smontanaro
QUOTE(BigDBass @ Oct 20 2011, 02:22 PM) *

When I see 5-lug Mahle gas burners I want to steal them.

Thanks for the heads up. wink.gif I'll be sure to get some wheel locks before we run into each other...

S
70-914nut
Sorry but im not a big fan. Dont hate. just voicing my opinion. Fuchs or riverias for me.
JRust
Mahles are great. Love them in the 4-lug. They are great in the 5-lug gas burner too. I only want them becase they are worth so much. In the 5-lug I will stick with 16" Fuchs. They are my favorite drooley.gif . Still I would take a set of gas burners in a heartbeat happy11.gif
dlkawashima
The first 914 I test drove had the 4-lug Mahles. I said to the shop owner, "Are these the 'gas burner' wheels?" "Nope," he said. "Gas burners are the 5-lug wheels. These are known as baby burners." And that's what I've been calling them ever since. Just so I get the lingo right, should I be calling the 4-lug Mahles 'gas burners' or 'baby burners'?

IPB Image
Black22
Do you have any before pictures for a before and after sequence?

Nice looking rims though. biggrin.gif I don't believe I have ever seen the 5 lug versions. I'll have to search that one.
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Black22 @ Oct 20 2011, 04:59 PM) *

Nice looking rims though. biggrin.gif I don't believe I have ever seen the 5 lug versions. I'll have to search that one.

Here ya go..........
Black22
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Oct 20 2011, 08:18 PM) *

QUOTE(Black22 @ Oct 20 2011, 04:59 PM) *

Here ya go..........

Wow! Those are pretty cool!
Black22
Sorry. Error = double post!
Randal

Those wheels look great, but would look better powercoated black.
r_towle
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Oct 20 2011, 02:56 PM) *

I always regretted not getting the optional Mahle wheels when I purchased my teener in 73. I always thought the stock hub caps were kinda lame.

I was able to find these wheels on Ebay. Because the seller was only about 70 miles from here, I saved $150 shipping. I got five wheels and almost new tires for only $349! The teener looks 100% better!

Ralphie, my Plott Hound, likes em…..

Looks great but dang.....it took you long enough

Rich
JawjaPorsche
Blondes, Brunettes, Red Heads,......we all have our preferences!

QUOTE(70-914nut @ Oct 20 2011, 08:13 PM) *

Sorry but im not a big fan. Dont hate. just voicing my opinion. Fuchs or riverias for me.

JawjaPorsche
Here is the Teener with the stock hubcaps and picture with new Mahles.

QUOTE(Black22 @ Oct 20 2011, 08:59 PM) *

Do you have any before pictures for a before and after sequence?

Black22
agree.gif That was definitely an upgrade. Those hubcaps scream VW. The Gasburners are a bit more Porsche. Nice!
flipb
Next step: Powdercoat them with polished fins.

IPB Image

(No, not planning to... but they do look good.)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.