Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can this be cleaned
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914itis
Can this distributor be cleaned? it looks preety dirty and somewhat rusty inside. How do I clwan it?
Andyrew
Looks pretty clean to me!

(no pic.. tongue.gif)
914itis
You are right!
sorry

Click to view attachment
Andyrew
Anything electrical in there or just mechanical? Carb cleaner would probably break apart most of it.

But I havent touched those dizzy's in years so I dont know if it would be bad for it or not..
914itis
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Oct 20 2011, 09:59 PM) *

Anything electrical in there or just mechanical? Carb cleaner would probably break apart most of it.

But I havent touched those dizzy's in years so I dont know if it would be bad for it or not..

#1 is an electrical wire and 2 looks like a diode

Click to view attachment
John
#1 is the breaker plate ground wire.

#2 is a holder for a ball bearing (as I recall) The ball bearing is supposed to allow the breaker plate to rotate from the vacuum advance can.
John
It sure looks like the green wire has melted badly. The green wire hooks to the breaker points (not present in your distributor) and then to the condenser and to the coil. The wire is part of the condenser when you get a new one.
somd914
QUOTE(John @ Oct 20 2011, 10:33 PM) *

#1 is the breaker plate ground wire.

#2 is a holder for a ball bearing (as I recall) The ball bearing is supposed to allow the breaker plate to rotate from the vacuum advance can.

That is correct. Given the condition up top, the mechanical advance unit below the breaker plate is probably as bad or worse. I wouldn't be surprised if you are not getting any advance - vacuum or mechanical. Try twisting the rotor, it should move perhaps a half inch as measured at the end, then spring back. If it springs back, the advance system is not bound up.

I'd take the breaker plate out, clean it up, examine the mechanical advance system, if rusty hit it with penetrating oil like Tri-Flow, work it free, put everything back together, then don't forget to put a few drops of oil on the felt in the center of the shaft - keeps the advance mechanism lubricated.

Check your timing after all this.

Went through all this a few months. Not much work, made a big difference.
r_towle
Yes, it can be completely disassembled , cleaned and rebuilt....all for a few bucks and your time.

Rich
Valy
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Oct 20 2011, 06:59 PM) *

Carb cleaner kills plastic !
slu234
The little "green" wire is the grounding strap to ground the points plate to the dizzy body. If it is toast you can buy some de-soldering floss and solder in a replacement. The desoldering floss is a flat braid of fine copper - soft flexible and works great.

Brian
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(slu234 @ Oct 21 2011, 09:45 AM) *

The little "green" wire is the grounding strap to ground the points plate to the dizzy body. If it is toast you can buy some de-soldering floss and solder in a replacement. The desoldering floss is a flat braid of fine copper - soft flexible and works great.

Brian

I've never seen the grounding strap having a sheath on it. I suspect the strap is the original braided copy that has oxidized to the color green.
Dave_Darling
I think he means the green wire outside of the distributor body, upper right in the picture. It looks pretty melted, so you really want to replace the consdensor (which has that green wire as part of it).

--DD
914itis
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Oct 21 2011, 07:45 PM) *

I think he means the green wire outside of the distributor body, upper right in the picture. It looks pretty melted, so you really want to replace the consdensor (which has that green wire as part of it).

--DD

No I meant Inside the distributor. I am aware that the wire is melted . Planing on using a compufire anyway . Not using points.
underthetire
Got a ultrasonic cleaner? Take it apart and throw it in. It will come out clean.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.