Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Targa top
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
partwerks
Does anyone have a kit made for making a non removable steel targa top?
Andyrew
No
smile.gif
jim912928
Do a search on here...can't remember but someone grafted a 924/944 section of a steel roof (with the pop-out sunroof thing) onto a 914. Finished product looked very cool.
jim912928
here is the link:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=76305&st=0
partwerks
Anyone interested in making one or a kit?
Mikey914
I have a 944 Turbo parts car and a sawzall make me an offer. sawzall-smiley.gif
partwerks
Are you referring to fabbing up the custom hard top or just chopping out a roof to sell?

I was looking for plug N play type of scenario.
JRust
Here is a plug & play http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...984.m1423.l2649
partwerks
I'll have to put that plug N play on pause.
Mike Bellis
How could it be plug and play if it has to be welded on?
partwerks
The same concept as paying someone to fab the top and paying someone to have it put on.
Mike Bellis
This is the only successful steel top I know of.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=142668
mein_tag
QUOTE(esses62 @ Oct 21 2011, 03:58 PM) *

QUOTE(partwerks @ Oct 21 2011, 06:47 PM) *

Anyone interested in making one or a kit?

no happy11.gif

lol
Mikey914
I have a kit. Looks like this one. There will be some assembly and custom fabrication required. $150 + shipping

The picture is not mine, but I can cut. You thought I was joking?
partwerks
Do you have any pics of the inside of the top and the sides where the seal goes, as well as the back portion?
Mikey914
It's still on the car right now I can snap some in the mornig if you want.
-Mark
Rand
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Oct 22 2011, 11:00 PM) *

This is the only successful steel top I know of.

The one Jamie pointed out is another great example.
And bonus, it's plug and play... You buy the steel top and it comes with the car pre-installed. laugh.gif
Beach914
How about one made from scratch outta 304 SS sheet (.050"?) with inside ribs spot welded fastening to the chassis like the original top or some bolt down design?

If we can design one my sheetmetal shop can fab it if there was enough group buy interest to cover my shops overhead and raw material costs.
partwerks
I don't know that it would need to be made out of stainless steel, just carbon.

Could a person use the other 914 enthusiast's top he made as a pattern for dimensions? Would it be more cost effective to just build off of the 944 roof section as he did?

I would rather not have something that bolted in, but maybe a person could make 2 versions? Bolt in and weld in permanent?

And something where a person can put a real seal in at the top so it doesn't leak water in all the time.

Sounds like Automobile Atlanta has the dies to produce steel tops, but no demand for it and quoted me $4,500.00 to have one made.
Beach914
Sure I agree. I was thinking a grained finish (Delorean?) could be pretty cool. Otherwise top could be 1018 CRS also. I buy a bit of 304 for our products so its not a problem.

What would be a reasonable price for a steel top? $4500 seems way to high to me. I'd like that kinda dough. I was thinking of a design that would get us to about $1500-$1750 or so.
partwerks
Could make it out of whatever the person wants I guess. I would rather just have carbon.
Ya, $4,500.00 is ridiculous!

Might be more cost effective to just do like the other fella did, and fab one up using the 944 roof and not completely re-inventing the wheel or roof in this instance......
that way you don't have to change as much?? After doing a few, you could get the bugs worked out and become more streamlined.

Mikey914
Make a mock up and I'm sure any good sheetmetal shop could make one for you. Once you have a good unit I'm sure you could get as many as you need made. You will need some custom rubber parts to seal them up, But i know a guy. biggrin.gif
partwerks
Then there's the other question as who is going to do the mock up and so forth.....
deloreandude86
I'd really like to see a 914 fastback. That would be tight as hell.
partwerks
What would one expect to pay for a early 944 roof section and at what points would it need to be cut off at?
deloreandude86
QUOTE(deloreandude86 @ Oct 26 2011, 11:15 PM) *

I'd really like to see a 914 fastback. That would be tight as hell.

This is a terrible rendition of what one may look like
partwerks
How would you get to the top of the engine or would it be in the road?
deloreandude86
QUOTE(partwerks @ Oct 26 2011, 11:58 PM) *

How would you get to the top of the engine or would it be in the road?

lol, I guess you could re-locate the engine to the front. probably need another engine though with a rear end
Rand
Fastback 914.... icon8.gif That's "Scari" as you can see here: http://www.scari.org/914.2-.html

Fastback looks good on a VW type 3, but it ruins a 914. Of course that's just my opinion and we are all entitled to our own. smile.gif
deloreandude86
QUOTE(Rand @ Oct 27 2011, 11:49 AM) *

Fastback 914.... icon8.gif That's "Scari" as you can see here: http://www.scari.org/914.2-.html

Fastback looks good on a VW type 3, but it ruins a 914. Of course that's just my opinion and we are all entitled to our own. smile.gif

I'd agree scari ruined that 914, but I think if you used a mustang style fastback top and left the rest of the car intact, i think it would look alright
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.