Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: While I'm in there
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
I am pulling my engine (maybe tomorrow) to convert from carbs to Fuel Injection.

I was bored out of my mind today at a on and on and on meeting, and my mind wandered to engine building.

While I have the engine out of the car, it would be nothing to get in, split the case, and drop in either a 78mm or 78.4mm crank. I already have 96mm pistons, so this would give me a 2258 or 2270.

Am I nuts? All I would need is a new seal kit, crank, main bearings and some time... Right?

Engine as it is right now:
A 2056 with
KB pistons
Raby 9530 cam and valve train kit (similar to Web 494)
ceramic lifters
cast iron cylinders (Stock 2.0 bored to 96mm)
1.7L heads bored to accept 2.0 cylinders.
45x37.5 valves
Single valve springs.
Cooling is stock.
Induction is going to be MSII
Spark is via Mallory Unilite and a big ass coil
Exhaust is SSI exchangers.
Intake will be the TB and runners from a 1.8 Ljet.

I know it may not be an ideal combo, but is there a glaring misconfiguration? My goal would be about 160hp and torque. Is that possible?

The engine has maybe 4000 miles on it since I finished the 2056 in 2009.

Do I need to put down the pipe? Or will this work?

Zach
VaccaRabite
Just to be clear, there is NOTHING wrong with my 2056.
Its a fun quick revving little motor. My last compression check showed about ~165PSI.
I just like building things, the motor is going to be out of the car, and I hear the sirens call....

Zach
BajaXJ92
V8. poke.gif
scotty b
You have another child on the way, you have a Jeep to build, you have Adams bus to buy and restore, you have never had the 914 on the road correctly

YES you are nuts slap.gif chair.gif chair.gif chair.gif
914rat
You will need H beam rods and to clearence the case.I think I read somewhere that Jake said stock rods were only good up to76mm crank.You could just build a 2200 and keep the stock rods.The description on the 9530 says its only good up to 2.2 L.with the components you have you could build a 2200 otherwise you would need a cam and rods to go any bigger without being misconfigured.I don' t know squat but from studying these forums thats the stuff that I remember.
VaccaRabite
I'm not buying Adam's bus.

Even though I want to.

It would rust to nothing before I got around to welding up the rust he cut out already.

Zach
scotty b
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 21 2011, 05:19 PM) *

I'm not buying Adam's bus.

Even though I want to.

It would rust to nothing before I got around to welding up the rust he cut out already.

Zach

You WILL buy Adams bus
BajaXJ92
av-943.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl9bvuAV-Ao
shuie
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 21 2011, 05:00 PM) *

Just to be clear, there is NOTHING wrong with my 2056..............Do I need to put down the pipe?.............I'm not buying Adam's bus.

STOP.

Put down the pipe.

Buy the bus.

smile.gif
MDG
Bus.

Get it restored. Then you can drive somewhere secluded, stare at a night sky and ponder building a bigger engine for your 914. Buses are great for that kind of reflection. I was in a '67 bus when I came up with the idea to strip two 914's to their bare tubs and simultaneously restore them using all NOS parts.

unsure.gif

maybe the 2270.
VaccaRabite
If I buy the bus my wife will murder me.
And then she will be stuck raising our kids alone.
And you all don't want to see that happen, do you?

(please don't want me murdered)
r_towle
No, don't do it.
Dream about what you will do to the jeep.
scotty b
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 21 2011, 06:10 PM) *

If I buy the bus my wife will murder me.
And then she will be stuck raising our kids alone.
And you all don't want to see that happen, do you?

(please don't want me murdered)

idea.gif That would mean Mike and I would split your part of the racecar idea.gif idea.gif
yeahmag
You would also need to swap out you pistons for stroked pistons, get new rings, reset the deck height, etc...
BajaXJ92
Again, V8.

With a bus wrapped around it. shades.gif

I also don't want to feel left out, so how much to buy into you guy's racecar that doesn't race? IPB Image
VaccaRabite
I'll trade you the bus for the race car.

Zach
scotty b
agree.gif poke.gif You should do that poke.gif ...........I'm not fixing the bus Zach dry.gif
jimkelly
pls define >> murder << for us.

cause i am sure she is fully aware that she can inflict far more pain and suffering by letting you live : )

1- jeep - fix and sell.

2- 914 - sell 96mm P&Cs (take wife out to dinner and a movie) - and get 914 reliable.

3- buy van - buy some pot - get a nice 8 track player - and conceive hippy baby : )

4- then sell van - to buy diapers

lastly - what compression ratio is 165psi and what octane do you need in that thing?

jim
BajaXJ92
Honestly, aside from always wanting one, this video is one of the reasons why I bought the bus... biggrin.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKBww29qvSg

OK, ok.....back on topic. Thread is yours, Zach. biggrin.gif
VaccaRabite
Okay. Back on topic.
I'll keep the 2056 since it looks like a lot of reconfiguration would have to happen to inccrease stroke. It's not as simple as adding a new crank and bearings.

I need to fix the jeep. When the jeep is done I'll be able to camp in it. Plus it has a v8 and 38 inch tires. If the bus came up when either the 914 or Jeep was done id probably have brought it home after Scott's party. But now is not the right time.
jaxdream
Probably like kids , is there ever a right time ????? stirthepot.gif

Jack
PanelBilly
Forget the bus, buy a mercedes station wagon and drop a AMG 550 engine in it. Make your self a family wagon that screams

Sleep in a hotel and let somebody else change the sheets.
HAM Inc
45x37.5 valves

Zach that's more valve than the engine needs/wants. And more than the 1.7 intake ports can handle without serious port work with welding. Plus the big intake valves are heavy and with single springs will reduce your redline RPM a few hundred RPM's.

With the 1.8 F.I. runners and single TB 1.7 heads would be perfect, but more suitable valve sizes would be 40 x 34, 42 x 36 at the absolute largest (if it were mine I would use 40 x 34). It would make for a snappier engine at lower revs, would wind up to a higher redline, cruise better and get better mileage.
jasons
QUOTE(HAM Inc @ Oct 22 2011, 07:02 AM) *

45x37.5 valves

Zach that's more valve than the engine needs/wants.

agree.gif
Not that my opinion means much after Len has weighed in... But if I were going to throw more money at that motor, I would lose those heads. The valves are still too big for a 2270 and yes you would need new pistons, rods, and probably a reduced base circle cam to accommodate a 78 crank. Basically you are starting over.
sean_v8_914
I would typically reserve those expensive ceramic lifters for a more aggressive high rpm set up where reduced valve train mass is most beneficial
494 cam is fairly tame
Drums66
....Yeah, try to enjoy what you have?...don't want your children to be fatherless poke.gif ...direct that passion in another direction idea.gif
bye1.gif smoke.gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
VaccaRabite
Noob question:
Is port size different then valve size?
Looking at the discription that I have from the guy I bought the engine from it said the ports were 45x37.5 not the valves. I transcribed it wrong.

Obviously I am not the one that had the head work done inthe first place.

Another question. Would larger valves cause warmer head temps? My head temps have always been on the warm end of acceptable.
AndyB
Zach make it what ever size you want just as long as it makes it to Hershey next year and not the fit dry.gif beerchug.gif
jcd914
Yes, port size and valve size are different or they could be the same, depends on who does what to the heads.
I only had a 1.7 head within reach but the intake valves are 39mm and the intake ports are approx 34mm.

A major problem with port and/or valve size being too big is your intake velocity drops and you get poor cylinder filling. Typically performance at the lower end of the RPM range suffers most.

Don't know about head temps vs valve/port size.
High heads temps are usually due to lean mixture and/or too much timing advance.

Unless you have a problem you need to fix I would leave the engine assembled.

If it ain't broke ....

Jim
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Oct 22 2011, 09:47 AM) *

I would typically reserve those expensive ceramic lifters for a more aggressive high rpm set up where reduced valve train mass is most beneficial
494 cam is fairly tame

The lifters were there when I bought the engine.

Zach
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Oct 22 2011, 06:53 PM) *

If it ain't broke ....

I'm horrible at that.

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.