Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: broken white wire on 1973 1.7 djet
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
swilliams
Question from a newbie.....,

I have used the posts to this site to get well along on restoring a 1973 1.7 djet to original condition. The car is still not running well, and I have found a broken white wire near the distributor. Can someone tell me where this wire should terminate?

Looks like a white ground wire. In the picture, it is the wire next to the distributor condenser.

Thanks!

Click to view attachment
JeffBowlsby
Welcome to the madness!

White wires are never ground. Grounds are always brown.

That white wire is on the ignition harness, and is continuous +12V when the ignition is on. It connects to the red wire for the aux air regulator.

Show us your car!

welcome.png

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

swilliams
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Oct 22 2011, 02:25 PM) *

Welcome to the madness!

White wires are never ground. Grounds are always brown.

That white wire is on the ignition harness, and is continuous +12V when the ignition is on. It connects to the red wire for the aux air regulator.

Show us your car!

welcome.png

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Hi Jeff, Thanks!

Here is a picture of my 914. It is a 1973 1.7L Sepia with tan interior.
Click to view attachment

There is another white wire connection to the aux air regulator red wire. Attached is another view with some of the hoses pulled back.
Click to view attachment
Tom
While all of the ground wires in the 914 are as Jeff indicated, brown, there are ground wires that are white in the fuel injection harness! Try to see if you can determine what harness that wire comes from. Although it doesn't seem to be one of the injector grounds, it may be one of the wires to one of the sensors in the fuel injection harness. If you can determine which harness it comes from, maybe we can help you find where it goes to.
Tom
swilliams
QUOTE(Tom @ Oct 22 2011, 06:10 PM) *

While all of the ground wires in the 914 are as Jeff indicated, brown, there are ground wires that are white in the fuel injection harness! Try to see if you can determine what harness that wire comes from. Although it doesn't seem to be one of the injector grounds, it may be one of the wires to one of the sensors in the fuel injection harness. If you can determine which harness it comes from, maybe we can help you find where it goes to.
Tom

Tom,

I checked continuity of the broken wire and the wire I have hooked up to the aux air regulator on pin 12 of the connector. I have the correct wire to the aux air regulator.

The broken wire is coming out of the harness that has a white or slightly grey sheath. It exits next to the wires going over to the distributor.

The aux air white wire is coming out of the harness that has the black sheath.

Thanks for the help!

Steve
JeffBowlsby
Sounds like its coming out of the FI harness. Check the harness diagram for your car on my site. If its a single wire wire in that area...it could be the wire to the thermo switch.

http://bowlsby.net/914/WiringHarnesses/

Tom
Ah ha, now you're getting somewhere. I think Jeff is right again, he usually is. smile.gif
Don't think I would have gotten my FI harness straightened out without his help 5 years ago. Thanks again Jeff.
Hope we have been some help,
Tom
swilliams
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Oct 23 2011, 07:25 AM) *

Sounds like its coming out of the FI harness. Check the harness diagram for your car on my site. If its a single wire wire in that area...it could be the wire to the thermo switch.

http://bowlsby.net/914/WiringHarnesses/

Jeff,

Excellent, that's it! Thanks.

It has continuity to pin IV on the FI harness. Now I just have to find the connection on the thermo switch and repair.

Steve
swilliams
QUOTE(Tom @ Oct 23 2011, 07:30 AM) *

Ah ha, now you're getting somewhere. I think Jeff is right again, he usually is. smile.gif
Don't think I would have gotten my FI harness straightened out without his help 5 years ago. Thanks again Jeff.
Hope we have been some help,
Tom

Tom,

Yes, you and Jeff really helped! I was trying to check continuity on the wrong connectors and was getting nowhere fast..... Now I am on the right path.

Steve
JeffBowlsby
Check the diagram, but I am pretty sure (from memory) the wire that connects to the relay board goes directly to the cold start valve. The other wire on the CSV goes to the thermo switch, which is the wire I thought we were talking about.

But the photo #3 you posted shows both wires on the CSV...so check them all out.

swilliams
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Oct 23 2011, 07:39 PM) *

Check the diagram, but I am pretty sure (from memory) the wire that connects to the relay board goes directly to the cold start valve. The other wire on the CSV goes to the thermo switch, which is the wire I thought we were talking about.

But the photo #3 you posted shows both wires on the CSV...so check them all out.

Jeff,

Thanks!

I believe the broken wire goes to the (missing) thermo switch.

I jumped the small two pin connector that is in series and then checked continuity back to the large connector at the relay board. Open my jump and no connectivity, close the jump and connectivity all they way back to the relay board.

The thermo switch and any mounting hardware are gone. Next step is to track these down.....

Steve

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.