Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Schadek oil pump gear/cover issue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tornik550
I have a Schadek 30mm oil pump for my 2258 rebuild. After making the appropriate cam gear, oil pump housing clearance modifications, I went to mock up my pump and I am not able to turn the gear shaft by hand. I know that the gear shaft must be pressed further into the gear, that is already done.

This occurred when I bolted the oil pump housing, gasket and cover together -not on the case (torqued at 14ft/lbs). I do not have it installed in the engine so there are no other clearance issues other than the gear to cover clearance. It seems that the gears stick out of the housing very slightly. What should I do?
tornik550
Just measured and the gears stick out of the pump housing .005". The gasket is .003". So that is a net of sticking .002 out. Should I sand down the gears by .002?
jaxdream
Simple , find some thicker gasket material , make your own gasket to the specs you want.
My $.02..........

Jack
Valy
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
tornik550
QUOTE(Valy @ Oct 23 2011, 12:37 PM) *

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

It's kind of hard to show a .005 clearance issue in a picture.
Mark Henry
Is it sticking out because the shaft is pressed in to deep or is it bottoming out in the housing? It should have a face with "0" clearance, the steel cover should be flat and the thin gasket is all that gives the clearance/endplay. Never use a thicker gasket.
jaxdream
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 23 2011, 11:01 AM) *

Is it sticking out because the shaft is pressed in to deep or is it bottoming out in the housing? It should have a face with "0" clearance, the steel cover should be flat and the thin gasket is all that gives the clearance/endplay. Never use a thicker gasket.

Ok , I learn something new. No thick gaskets on oil pumps.
Thanks ,
Jack
tornik550
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 23 2011, 03:01 PM) *

I am certain that the shaft is not pressed too deeply because I have the same issue if only the other non-shafted gear is installed (I installed it with a stock gear so I could see if it turned).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.