Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need some help picking an adequate amp
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
computers4kids
Recently changed my pod speakers to the ones below and primarily just use my phone or ipod. Pretty much never listen to the radio. No amp.

I've come to the point I would like some more volume and quality sound and would like to add an amp and a sub--need your help. I don't want to cut my doors for more speakers. Hopefully a foot sub or console sub with these speakers will be adequate for me. I'm thinking of mounting a amp in my center arm rest with a little modification or behind the driver seat. I don't want to mount the amp in the trunks.

Can you help me know what size amp (RMS) I need as a minimum, number of channels, and do I need a premamp. The guy at the stereo store said I need a premamp if I want really good sound without static?? Speak slowly...I am not a stereo guy LOL smile.gif

Polk Audio - 4" x 6" Plate-Mounted Speakers with Poly-Mica Composite Cones (Pair)

Handles up to 150W peak power (50W RMS)
For rich sound.
71Hz - 22kHz frequency response
For accurate sound reproduction.
3/4" silk/polymer soft dome tweeter
Delivers clear, well-defined highs.
4" x 6" poly-mica composite woofer cones and rubber surrounds
For enhanced bass response. The stiff, lightweight design delivers big sound and minimal distortion.
4 ohms impedance
Conducts power evenly to keep the speaker at an appropriate level.
91dB sensitivity
Picks up the highs and lows for faithful sound reproduction.
Balance Driver technology
For pure sound.
Pole Plate heat sink
Promotes heat dissipation for great power handling and reliability.
IPB Image
Click to view attachment
underthetire
A good 4 channel amp. ~100 watts per channel. Two front channels to your plate speakers, the rear will be bridged (both channels in to one) to run a 8" or so sub. Don't think you need a pre amp personally with iPod. You can adjust the input signal on most amps to tweak the sound. You will need to get an adapter to get al 4 RCA connections to one 3.5 mm iPod plug. Make sure the amp has a built in crossover, you don't want to put any bass in to your plates and you don't want highs in your sub.
Mike Bellis
Bottom line...

Buy a name brand amp. (Kenwood, Alpine, Rockford Fosgate, etc)

100-200 watts

The fedral trade commission does not regulate car amp ratings. So, the manufacturers can claim any output they want. Major manufacturers (name brands) will rate their amps correctly. Off brands will claim outrageous ratings.
underthetire
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KAC8405/Ke...5.html?tp=35782

This one should drive everything fine, wont be one of those b boxes, but will be loud and clear.
computers4kids
Thanks. When you bridge to channels together do you get the RMS watts of both channels added together or less?

My last car I had used y connectors to connect a 2 channel amp. Is a kit like the one below worth the effort to gain an external volume control separate than the ipod? Currently I have a cable that charges my ipod as well as sends the signal to my period correct radio.
Mike Bellis
Bridging will "double" the output. Not truely double but close. You can also run in tri mode; 2 stereo channels and a bridged mono channel for bass.
underthetire
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Oct 23 2011, 09:50 AM) *

Thanks. When you bridge to channels together do you get the RMS watts of both channels added together or less?

My last car I had used y connectors to connect a 2 channel amp. Is a kit like the one below worth the effort to gain an external volume control separate than the ipod? Currently I have a cable that charges my ipod as well as sends the signal to my period correct radio.

Might be a nice option, less adapters and your iPod will never go dead. Not sure the volume control would be handy or not. How much is that kit?
computers4kids
QUOTE(underthetire @ Oct 23 2011, 09:59 AM) *

Might be a nice option, less adapters and your iPod will never go dead. Not sure the volume control would be handy or not. How much is that kit?

$59 Since the ipod/phone sits between the seats the volume control might be handy for not having to look at the ipod while driving. Another option would be to use the volume control for just the woofer since I'm not sure how easily the controls on the amp are going to be.
underthetire
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Oct 23 2011, 10:31 AM) *

QUOTE(underthetire @ Oct 23 2011, 09:59 AM) *

$59 Since the ipod/phone sits between the seats the volume control might be handy for not having to look at the ipod while driving. Another option would be to use the volume control for just the woofer since I'm not sure how easily the controls on the amp are going to be.

Cheap enough. You can always adjust the bass through the eq function of the iPod as well.
computers4kids
What do you think about one of these for some base in a 914?

Boss Audio BASS900 - 8" Low Profile Amplified Subwoofer, Remote Subwoofer Level Conrol, 900W
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Oct 23 2011, 06:54 PM) *

Boss Audio BASS900 - 8" Low Profile Amplified Subwoofer, Remote Subwoofer Level Conrol, 900W

May be OK however, this proves my point too. Look at the fuses. Two each 15 amps (30 amps total)
Power=Amperage X Volts
14V X 30A =420 Watts max

So they claim 900 Watts but ohms law equals 420 Watts. Boss is not a name brand. But this setup may work fine in a 914.
computers4kids
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Oct 23 2011, 09:15 PM) *

QUOTE(computers4kids @ Oct 23 2011, 06:54 PM) *

May be OK however, this proves my point too. Look at the fuses. Two each 15 amps (30 amps total)
Power=Amperage X Volts
14V X 30A =420 Watts max

So they claim 900 Watts but ohms law equals 420 Watts. Boss is not a name brand. But this setup may work fine in a 914.

Actually, I was thinking of something like this in addittion to an amp. I liked the compact size and could be tucked away and be self contained.

I ended-up buying the amp below but now trying to decide how to do the base. I have coca mats so I believe the floor sub idea is out. Don't want a center console. Still thinking.

Pioneer 4-Channel Class FD Bridgeable Amplifier

Detailed item info
Product Identifiers
Brand Pioneer
Model GM-D9500F
MPN GM-D9500F
UPC 12562967608

Key Features
Amplifier Type Multi Channels
Channels 4 Channel
Input Voltage 14.4 volt
Bridgeable Bridgable
RMS Power at 2 Ohms 100 W x 4
RMS Power at 4 Ohms 75 W x 4

Performance
Frequency Response 10 Hz - 35 Hz
Signal to Noise Ratio 95 dB
THD at Rated RMS Power 0.06 %

Crossover / Equalizer
Bass Boost Without Bass Boost
High - Pass Frequency 40 Hz - 500 Hz
Low - Pass Frequency 40 Hz - 500 Hz

Technical Features
MOSFET Circuitry Yes

Dimensions
Width 8.88 in.
Depth 7.88 in.
Height 2.14 in.

Click to view attachment
RJMII
Performance Frequency Response 10 Hz - 35 Hz
Signal to Noise Ratio 95 dB
THD at Rated RMS Power 0.06 %

Those are the details that are good. smile.gif

That way you don't have to try and compensate bass with the ipod EQ at 80hz when the frequencies you 'feel' are more-so 30-50hz.

EDIT:

clapeza
Can you provide a link for the volume control connection kit? I've considered just running an amp with input jacks, but having a volume control other than what's on the iPod would be nice.

QUOTE(computers4kids @ Oct 23 2011, 12:50 PM) *

computers4kids
QUOTE(clapeza @ Oct 24 2011, 10:05 AM) *

Can you provide a link for the volume control connection kit? I've considered just running an amp with input jacks, but having a volume control other than what's on the iPod would be nice.

QUOTE(computers4kids @ Oct 23 2011, 12:50 PM) *

The kit to connect an ipod/mp3 player to a 4 channel amp can be found at here.
Price is $59

If you go to buy this amp...do an internet search. I found the price varied over $130 (159-270) from the usual suspects, some even included no tax and free shipping. Interesting enough, Walmart was one of the highest.
biosurfer1
Mark...I have pretty much that same amp in my truck (few years older model) and have been happy with it ever since. I have it running 2 5 1/4" components and a 6" component set and it works fine. Should work great for you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.