Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gas tank interchangeability
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Harpo
Can early & late gas tanks be swapped? After I saw this photo of a hood with a hole cut in it for the gas cap I want to do this with my car. A chromed early cap would look a lot better than the late plastic cap. What do you think?

Mikey914
I had an early tank that I swapped to late hardware, so I would say you could go the other way. By the way I have the early hardware if you need it. You probably want a prettier cap though.
-Mark
914werke
yes & no.
If you swap the entire unit yes.
if you just want to swap the expansion & filler assembly No.
The steel expansion tank mounts differently than does the plastic version on the later tank.
jaxdream
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Oct 23 2011, 12:30 PM) *

yes & no.
If you swap the entire unit yes.
if you just want to swap the expansion & filler assembly No.
The steel expansion tank mounts differently than does the plastic version on the later tank.

Ok , I didn't know that , it was my plan to use a plastic filler housing / expansion tank on an earlier tank. Well now plan B......

Jack
Harpo
I was going to either powder coat (near chrome) or real chrome the early cap. I have a complete tank assy. out of a 72

Thanks

David
jaxdream
rdauenhauer is right , but if you mod the early tank vs the late tank ( with the platic fill / expn tank ), you can install the later plastic expansion tank and cap system. See pics of early tanks , they have a tab on the end that the steel xpn tank bolts to , also tabs for the charcoal canitster . A simple mod to the middle tab would make it possible to mount the plastic on the early tank.The bolt patterns of both tank mountings is the same , just the xpn tank mountings is different. To mount the late plastic xpn tank to the early tank ,you need to cut the tab off the end of tank , and fab a mount for the middle of tank to secure the inboard end of the plastic xpn tank .

Jack

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
mark21742
Were you going for a stock look, or a nice racer small custom look? You can get brushed aluminum bolt-in ring with hinged gas door (locking or non locking) through eBay that look pretty good for under $30
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.