Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Winter Storage in cold Northern SNOW States
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TJB/914
I put my 914 away for the winter. I put the Saratoga top on and had the heater on full blast and went for it's last drive till next year. I believe these cars play with your head knowing you will dream throughout the winter waiting for the next spirited drive. It ran the best it's ever run, 2nd gear performance was outstanding to redline and the sound of that 2.0 liter 4-cyl behind my back was sweet music. I drove it like I stole it and it begged for more. Dam, I love my 4-banger since I installed new Raby Heads and Raby's #9550 cam along with a little more love to the engine. wub.gif

Here's what I did for winter storage:
The gas tank was half full so I put in the proper amount of Sta-Bil gas treatment and topped off the tank. I then drove the 914 till it was completely warmed up with the Sta-Bil gas treatment mixed throughout the fuel system.
Took the battery out and put it on the trickle charger.
Parked it in the garage & put the car cover on with the windows opened halfway for ventilation.
Filled the tires to 35#PSI
Patted the fender and turned away till next spring 2012.

BTW: Any other suggestions????

Tom
VaccaRabite
If it were me I would have drained the tank (pumping fuel out to be used in my DD) and put it up on jackstands to keep the tires from flat spotting.

Zach
jmill
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 23 2011, 08:22 PM) *

If it were me I would have drained the tank (pumping fuel out to be used in my DD) and put it up on jackstands to keep the tires from flat spotting.

Zach

I fill them all the way up too. I know a tank with some fuel in it will have condensation, water in your gas come spring and rust on the inside of your tank. I figured an empty tank would have rust issues also. confused24.gif
GeorgeRud
Winter storage has gotten much harder with the ethanol in our ges these days. I also have always filled the tank with the appropriate amount of Sta-Bil added, put the battery on a Battery Tender, and either put the car up on jack stands or used the Harbor Freight rollers so I could move the car. In my garage, we store 6 cars ocher winter, soothe rollers really help position the cars.

A good wash and wax would also be a good idea, but the gas issue is one that I don't think anyone has a real good answer to. Filling the tank to avoid rust is a great idea, but today's fuels don't store very well. I have heard that the marine Sta-Bil may work better, but have no personal experience.

After attending the Rennsport Reunion and experiencing the nice California weather, I really feel bad about not being able to drive the car all year round.
GaroldShaffer
I do like Tom and George. Top off the tank, add stabil, car on dollies AND I put a tarp down under the car to act as a barrier between the cement garage floor and the bottom of the car to help control condenstation. Plus if you park your DD next to your 914 you can fold one side of the tarp up to help keep the road salt dust from under your 914.
TJB/914
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Oct 23 2011, 10:26 PM) *

I do like Tom and George. Top off the tank, add stabil, car on dollies AND I put a tarp down under the car to act as a barrier between the cement garage floor and the bottom of the car to help control condenstation. Plus if you park your DD next to your 914 you can fold one side of the tarp up to help keep the road salt dust from under your 914.

Garold,
That's an excellent idea to put a heavy plastic tarp on the cement floor. I am going to do that.
Jackstands??? No, I put them out for the trash man pickup after finishing my 914 up-date. Never, never again. hissyfit.gif
Tom
iamchappy
Blizzy, Put it away.... it ain't even Halloween yet.... I'm taking the Toyo RA-1s off and sticking the Conti ExtremeContacts on. I plan on driving mine till the snow comes, then i will put it away til Spring. The cooler air makes the turbo scream, i cant get enough of it.... As long as i can still play golf i can still drive my car....
TJB/914
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Oct 23 2011, 10:37 PM) *

Blizzy, Put it away.... it ain't even Halloween yet.... I'm taking the Toyo RA-1s off and sticking the Conti ExtremeContacts on. I plan on driving mine till the snow comes, then i will put it away til Spring. The cooler air makes the turbo scream, i cant get enough of it.... As long as i can still play golf i can still drive my car....

Chappy,

Good to hear from you. You run on different rules than us normal people, but watch out for those ice slick roads. unsure.gif
BTW: Are you still painting wildlife prints, etc.??? For those that don't know, Chappy, he has won many awards for his wildlife prints & artist awards. I have a few (turkey, pheasants, ducks) of his stuff hanging in the garage. Great works of art, signed by the master.

Tom
iamchappy
I only drive it when the weather is nice, I played golf on Saturday with temps in the 60's, weather has been warmer than usual, things can change in a hurry up here but the car will never see icy roads ever again.

I won last years 2010 Pheasant stamp but didn't paint anything this year other than commercial and graphic art work. Thanks Bliz you are my greatest supporter..
rick 918-S
As usual I'm thrashing trying to get the storage spaces ready. Looks like the 66 Beetle is staying outside this winter. I have no space for it and I can't seem to find a buyer for an absolute rust free Cali car. But ya, Top off the tanks, sta bil over inflate the tyres and hope for the best. dry.gif I effin hate winter! sad.gif
Jasfsmith
To fight off the field mice that nest in my unheated garage, I set a dozen snap traps which need to checked weekly. To futher protect the varments nesting in the car, I set two boxes of moth balls in old hubcaps under the engine and steering rack. I've not had any mice in the car since I added the month balls to the list.

Also I empty my windhshield washer fluid, and plug my muffler exhaust and air cleaner intake with a cloth rag.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.