Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Case sealer - what to use?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Valy
What is the recommended case sealer?
I've seen several options with a wide price variation but which one should I use?
- Gasgacinch
- Permatex® Aviation Form-A-Gasket® No. 3 Sealant
- other?

Thanks.
wingnut86
Permatex aviation #3 has never failed. We used it in the Air Force by the jug...

beer.gif
stugray
Curil-K2

http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/store/p...=354&page=1

Stu
reharvey
agree.gif
QUOTE(wingnut86 @ Oct 24 2011, 06:10 AM) *

Permatex aviation #3 has never failed. We used it in the Air Force by the jug...

beer.gif

Rav914
I've used a German product called Dirko on three engines with zero problems.
914dave
Loctite 574, Cat.no. 57447. Its made to fill voids but displace where there is metal to metal contact. I've used it on 4 type IV rebuilds and never had a leak. Pelican sells it for around $23 a bottle. Make sure you stone the matiing surfaces well.
Dave
brant
Definitely the Loctite

my pro builder (type 4 pro)
has 3 different steps and sealants he recommended
I followed his directions of "what" "how" and "where"
combination of mostly loctite
a little bit of gasacinch only on a seal or two
and a small dab of actual rtv (red) on the washers of the through case bolts.

he has used this formula on about 100 type 4 rebuilds over his career
vwsamba
QUOTE(reharvey @ Oct 24 2011, 08:38 AM) *

agree.gif
QUOTE(wingnut86 @ Oct 24 2011, 06:10 AM) *

beer.gif

agree.gif
jcd914
QUOTE(914dave @ Oct 24 2011, 02:26 PM) *

Loctite 574, Cat.no. 57447. Its made to fill voids but displace where there is metal to metal contact. I've used it on 4 type IV rebuilds and never had a leak. Pelican sells it for around $23 a bottle. Make sure you stone the matiing surfaces well.
Dave

agree.gif

I have been using 574 since about 1982. Used to be hard to find but is readily available now.

Jim
malcolm2
QUOTE(Valy @ Oct 24 2011, 05:27 AM) *

What is the recommended case sealer?
I've seen several options with a wide price variation but which one should I use?
- Gasgacinch
- Permatex® Aviation Form-A-Gasket® No. 3 Sealant
- other?

Thanks.

It does seem like builders are all over the place with what they use. I found some info about aviation 3H. Even in aircraft engines it has a designed life, I think I read 1200 hours...estimate 3 years in a car. I am in this for the long haul, not 3 years. Then stories about Loctite....if you ever have to crack the engine again, you will be sorry you used loctite. Just things I have read.
malcolm2
QUOTE(brant @ Oct 24 2011, 04:30 PM) *

Definitely the Loctite

my pro builder (type 4 pro)
has 3 different steps and sealants he recommended
I followed his directions of "what" "how" and "where"
combination of mostly loctite
a little bit of gasacinch only on a seal or two
and a small dab of actual rtv (red) on the washers of the through case bolts.

he has used this formula on about 100 type 4 rebuilds over his career

Will you share with a bit more detail? The "whats", "wheres" and "hows"....
Jake Raby
Curil K2. Period.

Over 700 engines with my name on them have been assembled with it for case sealant and I have never had a single leak complaint, not once- not ever.. Prior to it I did a ton of research and application of everything from anerobics to RTV sealants and that includes several different aviation products. Nothing has as few compromises as the Curil K2.

I used it on my 912E engine in 2002 and 160K hard miles later there were still zero leaks at the parting line, even with the use of synthetic oils and and extended drain intervals.

Remember: No case sealant makes up for poor surface preparation or application technique. Nothing touches K2 here at Aircooled Heaven.

Old school sealants don't mix well with today's lubricants- what your 40 year Veteran has used for the past 35 years is no longer adequate~
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.