Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Too white?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GWN7
Just got the sample of the new material for the fronts. The only sample I have of one is old and yellowed (shown). Is the new one too white?
bondo
It's too white for me! I can't own anything that white or it ends up being white with greasy fingerprints smile.gif As for authenticity, no idea.. Personally I'd prefer black, for the above reason.
JFJ914
They were probably that white when new.
SirAndy
QUOTE(John Jentz @ Jul 30 2004, 03:42 PM)
They were probably that white when new.

agree.gif but i want a set of the black ones anyways ...

smile.gif Andy
andys
To me, it appears as if the old ones are molded from Nylon. It's natural color is sort of yellowish, as appears in your photo. The (very) white one is likely a different material (polymer), though I suppose it could be Nylon with white colorant. Is this a custom machined (rather than molded) part? If so, I suspect it may be Delrin, as it's natural color is (very) white. Also, if it is custom machined, Delrin stock is commonly available in black as well.

Andy
Gint
Who frickin cares? I'll take white.
McMark
agree.gif

If you want original, you aren't buying these anyway.
GWN7
It's a polyurethane elastomer......... I asked smile.gif

and yes they will be available in Black.....long story short had to drive back across town to get the Black sample that I should have pickup up last trip slap.gif driving.gif
maf914
I have a new pair of OEM clips that I bought a few years ago, not yet installed. They are quite white, as opposed to my old clips (one broken) which have yellowed. For an improved clip, white or black is okay, but I'll probably pick black if its offered.
Root_Werks
I would take a set of black as well. They look nice. beerchug.gif
GWN7
Thanks guys, just read the MDS on the material. It says it will yellow with age (the white ones)............

beerchug.gif
seanery
are the white ones the same material as the black ones I have?

Actually, one is black the other seems really dark purple (can see light through it)
GWN7
No, the white ones shown (and the black one in this pic) are hard plastic. Like the originals. The problem is they aren't flexible coming out of the mold and they don't take the black dye well (I have a couple of grey ones to prove it). I only got 8 pieces done before one broke in the mold, making the mold useless.

I'm looking at strengthing the master of the one's you (and the other Beta testers have) along the underside of where the lid sits and along the leading edge of the top lip.

This would strengthen the whole clip by adding material to the support edges, while still keeping it soft enough that it would not mar painted tops or ones that spend a lot of time in the trunk (warmer, non rainy climates).

There is 20 different grades of rubber. The rears holders are made from a 90 Shore A Hardness and go down in grade to a 5. The lower grades look prefect for seals. The higher grades look good for making front valances or bumper tops. All I need is one good one to copy.

There is 41 grades of the plastics. Most are mid grade hardness.

Basically I can make any NLA part if it is made from plastic or rubber. All I need is ideas. wink.gif

beerchug.gif
Allan
How about a set of complete Targa and rollbar seals?
GWN7
Given time, yes
ein 6er
ideas?!?

part #s 40 & 41 in the exploded view diagram, dust caps. they are for tail shifters, so may not be much of a market, but i'd like one!! biggrin.gif a used one just sold for about $40. on ebay.

great work BTW!!!

doug
ein 6er
also, the side marker boots.
GaroldShaffer
part #s 40 & 41 in the exploded view diagram, dust caps. they are for tail shifters, so may not be much of a market, but i'd like one!!  a used one just sold for about $40. on ebay.

Doug, I think I have NOS of part 41 take a look at these pics. I was going to ebay it but if you need PM me and we can talk. smile.gif
GaroldShaffer
pic#2
GWN7
Sure, don't offer it to me so I can see if I can duplicate it. biggrin.gif

Address??
Dr Evil
Thanks, Bruce! Keep up the great work. smilie_pokal.gif
redshift
YOU HAVE TIME!

I'll take the see-thru purple ones.

Somehow, I thought this thread was going to be about Barry Manilow.

M

(damned roomie throwing the damn ball to the damn dog @ 3am.. BITCH!)
SLITS
QUOTE(redshift @ Aug 26 2004, 12:07 AM)
YOU HAVE TIME!

I'll take the see-thru purple ones.

Somehow, I thought this thread was going to be about Barry Manilow.

M

(damned roomie throwing the damn ball to the damn dog @ 3am.. BITCH!)

Don't care what color - I don't have a see thru trunk lid.

Hey, I like Barry Manilow!

So, kick the roomie and pet the dog.
GaroldShaffer
Sure, don't offer it to me so I can see if I can duplicate it

Well, I wasn't sure if that is what he was talking about? Is that what he is talking about? If so, if you can make copies of it then I will be more than happy to do my part for the good of all tail shifter 914's pray.gif flag.gif and I will only demand %80 of the profits biggrin.gif

PM sent with my address, oh for the record, it is also on the Fall Foliage Classic registration form, wink.gif hint hint
Demick
What am I missing here?? Why are you trying to reproduce the front targa storage clips?

Is it to make them out of a softer than stock material? Or to offer a selection of colors?

The rears are fairly expensive, so reproducing them at roughly half the price is great and I applaud that. But since the fronts are readily available for under $8 each, I don't understand what is being gained here?

Demick
cooltimes
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Aug 25 2004, 04:04 PM)
No, the white ones shown (and the black one in this pic) are hard plastic. Like the originals. The problem is they aren't flexible coming out of the mold and they don't take the black dye well (I have a couple of grey ones to prove it). I only got 8 pieces done before one broke in the mold, making the mold useless.

I'm looking at strengthing the master of the one's you (and the other Beta testers have) along the underside of where the lid sits and along the leading edge of the top lip.

This would strengthen the whole clip by adding material to the support edges, while still keeping it soft enough that it would not mar painted tops or ones that spend a lot of time in the trunk (warmer, non rainy climates).

There is 20 different grades of rubber. The rears holders are made from a 90 Shore A Hardness and go down in grade to a 5. The lower grades look prefect for seals. The higher grades look good for making front valances or bumper tops. All I need is one good one to copy.

There is 41 grades of the plastics. Most are mid grade hardness.

Basically I can make any NLA part if it is made from plastic or rubber. All I need is ideas. wink.gif

beerchug.gif

Great idea Bruce. Using polyurethane. With your determination and talents, any of those expensive seals could be duplicated by pouring industrial die makers liquid polyurethane into a mold set made from impressions using one of those expensive pieces of rubber.
Everything costs money to make, but sometimes, the 914 owners do get gouged for basic parts that need to be replaced periodically.
Jenny
QUOTE(Demick @ Aug 26 2004, 07:28 AM)
What am I missing here?? Why are you trying to reproduce the front targa storage clips?

Is it to make them out of a softer than stock material? Or to offer a selection of colors?

The rears are fairly expensive, so reproducing them at roughly half the price is great and I applaud that. But since the fronts are readily available for under $8 each, I don't understand what is being gained here?

Demick

They're being made with a more pliable material, so they don't snap, and won't scratch those with painted targa tops.

I don't think there's much to gain as far as Bruce is concerned. I think he's just coming out with what might be a better product. Rubber technology has come a long way in 30+ years! biggrin.gif

Jen
mike_the_man
What about new fuel injection boots? Do you think those would be do-able? Almost all of mine are shot, and I have no idea where to get new ones from. cool.gif
GWN7
Jen hit it right on the nose. Better, different, colours and winters are long up here. I used to make fishing tackle (yrs ago). It's the mad scientist in me. biggrin.gif

The guy who started me on this makes industrial parts for both railroads (CNR & CPR) and for the aircraft industry. His major business is industrial supply of hoses. He got into the rubber manufacturing part of the business because he couldn't find a clamp that would hold on two pieces of coragated hose (the kind that has the ridges in it) He makes a pad that duplicates the ridges in the hose and wraps around the hose allowing the clamps to tighten up without distorting the hose, holding them together.

The purple ones being refered to are the beta models. They were made with blue dye in them. They can be about 6 different colours if need be.

Are the injector boots NLA?
redshift
QUOTE(Jenny @ Aug 26 2004, 11:50 AM)
Rubber technology has come a long way in 30+ years!  :D

Jen

Yep

-ps: tell me that doesn't look like zois... go ahead..
JeffBowlsby
Are the injector boots NLA?

Yep.

But I use superior German replacements...FI harness boots are available.
GWN7
Ok I thought I remembered reading that someone was using something for those.

Mabey post what to use for Mike?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.