Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Doing my galley plugs, 2 questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JStroud
Started doing my galley plugs today, after all the reading and talking with McMark, thought I had it all figured out. They all came out ok, seems easy enough to tell how deep is too deep, but my questions are first one of the 3/8 plugs has another plug behind it, should that plug be left in? I assume it should since it seems to seperate oil passages, and would not cause engine failure if it dislodged, but i'm anal and I have to ask. My second question is there is a machined stop so the press in plugs can't go in too deep, it seems I would need to drill into the stop in order to be able to thread deep enough, is this correct, or do I need to stop short of the machined stop? I've attached a picture, not good enough with my picture program to draw lines to point at the two areas, but it should be clear from the picture.

Click to view attachment

Oh Ya,

FOR SALE NLA press in galley plug set!!!

Slightly used, small hole in middle. Best Offer lol-2.gif
Click to view attachment

Thanks, Any help would be appreciated.

Jeff
nathansnathan
You have to drill in far enough to get the plug to have 1 or 2 threads hanging out is ideal. For one of them, you have to grind the tap or have a non-tapered tap to do that. I'm not sure about the inner plug.
McMark
I thought you were going to let me have all the fun! tongue.gif

Leave that back plug alone.

The four other main plugs can be drilled pretty much without regard for depth (within reason). But for all the plugs you have to drill deep enough for the tap to go all the way in. Been awhile since I did the full twelve.
JStroud
QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 24 2011, 04:11 PM) *

I thought you were going to let me have all the fun! tongue.gif

Leave that back plug alone.

The four other main plugs can be drilled pretty much without regard for depth (within reason). But for all the plugs you have to drill deep enough for the tap to go all the way in. Been awhile since I did the full twelve.

I was going to let you do this.... but I had today off... already bought all the drill bits and taps so I figured why not.

Got it all done, except the "plug kit" I bought from a vendor I won't mention, has twelve plugs, too bad not the sizes I actually need, seven are 1/8" plugs, you only need one. Also the quality was poor I tossed them. headbang.gif So I had to buy new plugs.

Tell you what, I'll let you put the threaded plugs in...and everything else.

Got everything cleaned and boxed, just need to finish painting the tins, and valve covers. It will all be with me when I come on Friday.

See you then
Jeff

Thanks for the info nathansnathan read your post and went for it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.