Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is my car a Special Exxon Valdez Edition?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ezbngreen914
After finally getting up the nerve to drive my car hard like it should be driven (not that hard just shifting a 4k+ instead of 3k+) I have noticed that it looks like oil is "shooting" out of the oil pressure sending unit. There is some oil puddling around the shroud in this area and splattered on the bottoms of the various vac. hoses above. Are there any other likely suspects around this part of the engine? What would your plan of action be? I'm thinking remove the air cleaner, disconnect the sending unit, tighten it a little, clean the area and look for oil after a good spirited drive. Also the oil pressure light has never worked but I just figured that was a problem in the dash. Thanks as always for any advice you can offer. beerchug.gif
ezbngreen914
Click to view attachment
TheCabinetmaker
The oil pressure light does not work? Thats the first thing I would fix. I want to know when my espensive to rebuild engine has lost oil pressure. As far as the sender itself, they are less than 20 bucks I think. Replace it. The distributor also has a sealing ring on the shaft which can leak a lot of oil in the same spot. It looks like an oring with a flat side.
r_towle
I would get a new oil pressure sending unit and a new sending unit rubber seal (you are missing the one that goes there) and install that.

The old units break inside and shoot out oil at full pressure...

Rich
poorsche914
Anyone know offhand what size socket is needed to remove the sending unit? Mine needs replaced also.

Thanks.

driving.gif
ezbngreen914
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Oct 24 2011, 02:27 PM) *

The oil pressure light does not work? Thats the first thing I would fix. I want to know when my espensive to rebuild engine has lost oil pressure. As far as the sender itself, they are less than 20 bucks I think. Replace it. The distributor also has a sealing ring on the shaft which can leak a lot of oil in the same spot. It looks like an oring with a flat side.

Thanks for the advice! Sounds like a good project or two, Flying blind with the oil pressure has always bothered me a little. Since it appears that you purchase your 914s in bulk I feel like its safe to assume you know your stuff biggrin.gif. Thanks again!
ezbngreen914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 24 2011, 02:35 PM) *

I would get a new oil pressure sending unit and a new sending unit rubber seal (you are missing the one that goes there) and install that.

The old units break inside and shoot out oil at full pressure...

Rich

Will do. Thanks Rich! beerchug.gif
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(ezbngreen914 @ Oct 24 2011, 02:45 PM) *

QUOTE(vsg914 @ Oct 24 2011, 02:27 PM) *

Thanks for the advice! Sounds like a good project or two, Flying blind with the oil pressure has always bothered me a little. Since it appears that you purchase your 914s in bulk I feel like its safe to assume you know your stuff biggrin.gif. Thanks again!

Ha ha! I accumulated them one at a time and I do know how to take em apart! I know a few things about them, but there are those here who know a lot more than me.
ezbngreen914
If i replace the oil pressure sending unit and the light still doesn't come on when the car is starting up, what would you check next? is it possible that the light in the dash just doesn't work? This is a different problem than the original post but I probably do need to fix it.
r_towle
Yup. but right now, your sender is toast.
rwilner
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Oct 24 2011, 03:41 PM) *

Anyone know offhand what size socket is needed to remove the sending unit? Mine needs replaced also.

Thanks.

driving.gif

I believe its a 24mm deep socket.
ezbngreen914
QUOTE(rwilner @ Oct 24 2011, 03:22 PM) *

QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Oct 24 2011, 03:41 PM) *

Thanks.

driving.gif

I believe its a 24mm deep socket.

I wasn't paying attention at sears and came out with a 15/16ths but it also seems to fit pretty good. By my calculations its only 7/1000ths of and inch off... Still kind of embarassing headbang.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.