Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Door Handle Repair
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rick 918-S
I had two right side door handles that were both broken. One had the arms that work the plastic slide broken off and the other had the mounting tab broken off. Here's what I did to make one handle out of two.

First I drilled out the stamped pin from both handles.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Here's what I had.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

By the way. The lock will slide in and out of the handle body nicely if you have the key in the cylinder. Notice the lock cylinder looks like a porcupine without the key.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

One of the hardest part of reassembly is getting the handle back on the body. The spring under the handle is a tricky little bugger. I used a little smaller diameter torks driver so the handle was a sloppy fit. Then I had enough slop to get the plastic slide on without having to fight the slide, the handle and the spring all at the same time.

Then I slid the torks driver out with a 6 mm bolt I had in a pan of used hardware. A 1/4" bolt os too big for the hole. A 6 mm is the same size as the stamped pin I drilled out.

Click to view attachment

After I installed the bolt I used a cut off tool and trimmed off the extra threads. After I finished the trimming I used a center punch and swedged the threads to lock it.

Click to view attachment

Here's the end result. Thiis is great for a spare handle when you break one just before a weekend trip or a planned outing.

Click to view attachment

JRust
Good write up Rick. I've done this a few times. I've even reused the dowel once drilled the lip off. I just slip it down from the top. I've never had it back itself out that way. Saved many a handle that way. Never thought to write it up.

Wish it made sense for someone to reproduce these confused24.gif
URY914
Good write up, Rick.

A couple of things:

1. Yes the pin can be reused. I always reuse it on the ones I repair. Install it from the top and I've never had one back out.

2. Be very careful when driving the pin out. If you crack the flapper handle or if it is cracked before you start you are screwed. They crack at the base of the piece with the hole for the pin.

3. If the mounting tab is broked like the one in the picture. send it to me and I can repair it. smile.gif
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(JRust @ Oct 24 2011, 10:57 PM) *

Wish it made sense for someone to reproduce these confused24.gif

They do. Don't know where they came from but I bought a repro a few years ago for a hundred bucks. I wonder if they are still available.
TheCabinetmaker
Just called my Porsche parts guru. There was a run a few yers ago by the OE manufacturer. There is still some available but they are over $250.00
geniusanthony
If they were sand cast from a better/stronger material like say alluminum, could we deal with the 3% shrinkage> I have been thinking of trying to do this for some time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.