Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just curious....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BKLA
These two modified 914's for sale at the same time.

This one is at a fixed price of $49K

Click to view attachment

This one at $53k and not at reserve, yet.

Click to view attachment

Both are extraordinary examples of modified 914's. One is a 3.6 powered track car with FI and the other a rod based street car 3.2 with webers.

Both are amazing cars. The orange car has a fixed price of $49K and hasn't sold,yet.

The black car hasn't yet made reserve and is at $53k (as of this posting).

My question is why hasn't the orange car sold at $49k when the black car is at $53k already?

Is it as simple as not having a roof?

What's your opinion?
jcambo7
IMHO the track car appeals to only people wanting to race with it since it probably isn't street legal and I wouldn't want to drive it on the street anyways. While the other 914 appeals to someone that could race it and drive it on the streets or just drive it on the streets. Since the black 914 is able to do both the appeal is more and will draw more buyers to it.
Also isn't the black 914 the one from the excellence magazine article.
ezbngreen914
The black one appears to be a correct stock porsche color. Sometimes that can make a big deference in resale value.
BKLA
QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Oct 24 2011, 10:00 PM) *

IMHO the track car appeals to only people wanting to race with it since it probably isn't street legal and I wouldn't want to drive it on the street anyways. While the other 914 appeals to someone that could race it and drive it on the streets or just drive it on the streets. Since the black 914 is able to do both the appeal is more and will draw more buyers to it.

Good points, but...

Both are street legal in oregon. (both built here in oregon) Both have the same headlights (foglights), both have compromised seating/access issues.

and, no, the black one isn't the one from the excellence 914 build articles. And, yes, there was an excellence article (2004 ish) about the orange car.
jcambo7
QUOTE(BKLA @ Oct 25 2011, 12:16 AM) *

QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Oct 24 2011, 10:00 PM) *

Good points, but...

Both are street legal in oregon. (both built here in oregon) Both have the same headlights (foglights), both have compromised seating/access issues.

and, no, the black one isn't the one from the excellence 914 build articles. And, yes, there was an excellence article (2004 ish) about the orange car.

Ok so the orange one is street legal. I still wouldn't drive it on the streets unless to special events like car shows or 914 gatherings. It would mainly be a racing vehicle to me at least. You honestly can't drive the orange one year round depending on the location of course while the black one you can.

I will say this though. Both these cars are very nice but man that black one is wicked sweet looking. drooley.gif
ezbngreen914
I'm pretty sure I know which one Darth Vader is bidding on.
nathansnathan
That black car was the star of the show at a recent big event. Everyone who saw it, mentioned it. It is modified subtly just about everywhere, an insane amount of work and care went into that car from what I've read.
Cairo94507
Were I to be in the market for a modified 914, I would not consider the orange one (for me) because of the windshield/roof issue. I would want to be able to drive it on the street comfortably.

Both cars are exceptional 914's however.
BKLA
What I gather from the comments so far are:

1. lack of roof limits sale of orange car - "track only" appearance

2. Perception of far more effort and labor into black car.
Rod
I toyed with the idea of buying the Orange and if it had a roof I probably would have started bargaining - but here in the Uk having a car with a fly screen is pretty pointless - especially when it originally had a screen... Shame as I really like car.

The Black one is a really decent looking piece of engineering, It has a roof which is a huge bonus!! I obviously haven't seen it, but did bid on it as the photo album attached to it (and the album on the builders website) are both very impressive and show the quality of the work.. I have a 914 with a $10000+ McIntosh audio install and this would just suit it perfectly, so I'd buy this one, transfer over the hifi and then sell my current '14.. instead of building the same over here in the UK which would cost £££

I think they are both superb, but need to know the asking price for the black one..
BKLA
Let's say for sh*its & giggles, that the black car has a reserve of $60K. I'll bet you could do a new solid (916 type) roof and windscreen, mod doors and roll cage on the orange car for $11k.

Both then would be at $60k

Does that make a difference? (Again, I am just curious as to what the perception is about the orange car.)
Rod
I can't justify (to myself and also my wife!) Spending $50k on a car and then spending another $11k just to make it waterproof.

Spending $60k on a watertight 914 seems like a more, er 'watertight' investment!!!
BKLA
QUOTE(Rod @ Oct 25 2011, 08:54 AM) *

I toyed with the idea of buying the Orange and if it had a roof I probably would have started bargaining - ......

The Black one is a really decent looking piece of engineering, It has a roof which is a huge bonus!! .... instead of building the same over here in the UK which would cost £££

I think they are both superb, but need to know the asking price for the black one..

Having sold a nice 914 to someone in england, neither of these would meet import requirements to be street legal. (based on my past, recent experience.) But both are extraordinary works of art.

Rod
QUOTE(BKLA @ Oct 25 2011, 05:12 PM) *

I toyed with the idea of buying the Orange and if it had a roof I probably would have started bargaining - ......

The Black one is a really decent looking piece of engineering, It has a roof which is a huge bonus!! .... instead of building the same over here in the UK which would cost £££

Having sold a nice 914 to someone in england, neither of these would meet import requirements to be street legal. (based on my past, recent experience.) But both are extraordinary works of art.

Why? Over here the rules are pretty relaxed to old motors?
BKLA
QUOTE(Rod @ Oct 25 2011, 09:14 AM) *

Not the motors.... modifications - specifically lighting
Andyrew
The black car has WAAAAY more work done to it than the orange car, and is a much nicer car for the show and street. Simply put.

In a shop you could replicate the orange car for probably 75k

However you would probably need 150-200k in the same shop for the black car strictly due to the custom work involved.
thelogo
sorry but for me a lowered roof line ,: black car :

might as well be a chop the roof off . ' orange car "

i barely fit in these cars . so i vote for the open top
poorsche914
If I had a few $$$$$$$ lying around, BOTH cars would be in my garage drooley.gif
wingnut86
The silver car is the easiest to convert back to a concurs version for those interested in that direction. If anyone does that, let me know and I'll forward my address to the person getting rid of all that extra "weight" beer.gif
Rod
QUOTE(BKLA @ Oct 25 2011, 05:25 PM) *

If that was aimed at me - Thankyou. I'll be honest, I don't often look at US ebay for cars, I much prefer to look at forum based cars - you can find a lot more out about the owners and maintenance of a vehicle that way. Thanks though, that looks like a great car!

QUOTE(BKLA @ Oct 25 2011, 05:28 PM) *

QUOTE(Rod @ Oct 25 2011, 09:14 AM) *

Not the motors.... modifications - specifically lighting

Ah, lighting. No reason not to import though. Can be reasonably sorted. The black one has lights that would be too low, I agree with that yes..

QUOTE(wingnut86 @ Oct 25 2011, 08:03 PM) *

The silver car is the easiest to convert back to a concurs version for those interested in that direction. If anyone does that, let me know and I'll forward my address to the person getting rid of all that extra "weight" beer.gif

Is the owner a 914w member?
BKLA
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Oct 25 2011, 11:39 AM) *

If I had a few $$$$$$$ lying around, BOTH cars would be in my garage drooley.gif

agree.gif

I seen both and love both! Don't sell the orange car's fabrication short. It's bodywork, hoods, deck lid, etc. have been extensively modified. It just looks more stock than the black one.

The black car is a nasty badass, perfect sheet metal mods' 'rod. But I haven't seen the number of photos or personal extensive oversight to say that it is better or worse than the orange car.

Just different.
Rand
I was a little surprised to see Bdog's car for sale so soon after he put so much work and money into that beast. It was a pleasure seeing that car at WCR 2011 in Medford. Stunning! More about it here:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=133115
and http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=118520
ezbngreen914
Does anyone have any video of the black car? pray.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.