Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking at a roller
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
afiniti
Hey guys, looking at a roller. Most of the car is rust free according to seller (longs, floors, etc.). There is a little surface rust here and there, but car is already stripped down on the outside. The only thing that concerns me (because I'm new at this) is this area. Can a few of you experienced guys look at these pics and tell me how much work this looks like to clean out, and if you see any major problems here? Obviously new tray and support are needed, but what about that hole down in the bottom?

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
SLITS
Battery support and shelf ... $80 new?

Possibly engine shelf .... $180 new

Welding parts in ... $??.??

What does the hell hole look like? That could cost a bit if it is rusted out.

afiniti
QUOTE(SLITS @ Oct 25 2011, 06:27 AM) *

Battery support and shelf ... $80 new?

Possibly engine shelf .... $180 new

Welding parts in ... $??.??

What does the hell hole look like? That could cost a bit if it is rusted out.

Supposedly hell hole is ok, but I haven't had a chance to see the pics for that yet. I have a skilled welder who will weld in the pieces very cheaply. He'll actually do it for free, but I feel obligated to pay him for his time.
SLITS
Battery tray assembly can be removed by drilling spot welds. I believe the engine tray might be spot welded in to, but regardless is replaceable.

You need a picture of the metal below the ECU mount on the battery tray.
Loser_Cruiser
It looks saveable, especially if you already have someone who can do the welding for you. If it turns out to be to rusty pm me, depending on where you are in the NW I have two pretty decent shells for sale cheap.
914werke
I see a hole in the top of the long....
ANY penetrations in that area usually means the inside is compromised,
to what extent .. ?
Id get underneath the car and look up at that area...
You'll have a better idea how bad.
boogie_man
That's not too bad looking. Once you remove the tray, you should be able to clean
that up with perhaps "spot" patching. Wished mine looked that good happy11.gif
draganc
Based on the battery tray pics - or what is left, I question the sellers statment "...car is rust free according to seller (longs, floors, etc.)..."

You should check as well the jack point and particular the suspnesions ears below the battery area.

Can you see/check the car in person or only pics?

Post your location and ask one of the club members to inspect the car with you - this will cost a few bucks or a steak and some beer.

good luck!
SirAndy
QUOTE(draganc @ Oct 26 2011, 08:40 AM) *
Based on the battery tray pics - or what is left, I question the sellers statment "...car is rust free according to seller (longs, floors, etc.)..."

agree.gif

That ain't "rust free" ... dry.gif

The rust has almost certainly gotten inside the pass. side long. I'd carefully check the back of the long from the jack post backwards. Lots of poking with a screw driver.

Also, it appears the rust has eaten into the pass. side suspension ear. You need to look for holes and cracks there.

Lastly, move the pass. seat all the way forward, remove the carpet behind it and poke the hell out of the floor and the edge between the floor and the long. Do the "crunch" test on the lower ribs on the floorboard. Don't let the factory paint fool you in that area. They painted OVER the sound deadening tar mats and the rust will be underneath the tar.

shades.gif
draganc
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 26 2011, 11:14 AM) *

QUOTE(draganc @ Oct 26 2011, 08:40 AM) *

agree.gif

That ain't "rust free" ... dry.gif

maybe the seller ment that the rust is free....sorry, just had a funny moment lol-2.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.