Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GT Headlights Kits different
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stugray
I see the other threads about the GT Headlights Kits, but while thinking of hooking one up myself, I had a thought:

If we are running a cable to each light, why cant we just use the cable to pull the light up instead of the gas strut.
I found struts at mcmaster-carr, but they are pricey ~$50 ea.

So I was wondering why we cant just have the pull cable lift the light, and some sort of latch that holds them there.

To lower them, you would have to open the trunk to lift the latches, but even the other kit required you to push them down manually.

This would even be lighter.

Thoughts?

I just want to remove the headlight motors to reduce weight, but still be possible to be street legal.

Stu
Rand
It is totally possible to build a cable system that will both raise and lower the lights. It should never be necessary to open the hood. I never understood why they used gas shocks, other than it was just an easy way thought of by the designer.
mepstein
There was a recent thread with a cable actuated spring. I don't remember if the spring raised up the headlights or lowered them but it looked clean and easy to duplicate the lever and spring assembly for the lights. If I was going to rig one up I would use cables and housing from a bike shop. Tandem cables if you needed extra length. There are also cable splitters available to run both lights from one cable.

I thought about the GT kit but the two electric motors and hardware weigh under 10lbs and I have the feeling if the origionals were mechanical, I would want to convert to the electric motors.
Mikey914
You can make a "kit" on your own, and depending on your skill level maybe even an improvement. The real issue is reliability over time. Real easy to get something that "works" only ti see that over time parts wear excessively, or other issues come up.

Either way the retun other than "coolness factor" is minimal unless you are a hardcore track guy.

Just my .02
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.