Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is Brad Penn 20w50 too heavy for cooler weather (30 F - 40 F) driving?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
O0 Ia
I'm looking for a recommended oil weight for winter driving. I currently have Brad Penn 20w50. Is this too heavy for winter driving? Do I risk blowing an oil seal running this oil in 30 degree Fahrenheit weather?
VaccaRabite
Yes. Though many of us have done it. I have used the 20w50 down to 33 degrees at times but my case has threaded gallery plugs. At start up it pegged my pressure meter.
Move to thier thinner oil for winter driving.
Zach
r_towle
yes its too thick.
When I was driving in the winter...and it get really cold here, I went to 10W30...

For your climate, 10W40 should be fine.
We get to -20 degrees at night here...and any oil is super thick at that point.
Consider putting it inside...an extra 10 degrees makes all the difference from what I have found.
Most garages stay above 20 degrees.

Rich
ArtechnikA
To elaborate on what (the other) Rich said, and to answer the question you didn't ask - it's not the driving - it's the starting.

If it's garaged and carefully warmed up before hitting the cold, you should be OK. If it's parked in the cold, and you start it there, this is where trouble ensues.

When I had to park the 911 outside in single-digit temps I would typically see my 10 Bar pressure gauge peg - even with Mobil-1 15-50, even with keeping the revs down.

The upside is you'll probably never see oil temps high enough to cause concern, even with thinner oil.

The other unspoken hazard is that many 'high performance summer' tires traction drops off dramatically under about 40ºF. And don't even think about snow... 'All Season' tires are better behaved in the cold - but they're also way less fun in the summer. And in any case, stay off the road as soon as the salt starts...
potomacmidget
I live in the peoples republic of Maryland - and I put brad penn 20/50 in my car this summer. Should I drain and run brad penn (green colored oil) 10W/30 for the winter? I definitely want to drive the car in the winter.

thanks
Reg
Jake Raby
I recommend changing weights when the time changes to/ from DST. For the majority of the US this is perfectly timed with climate changes.

You will all have another proven oil choice come January... Those on my newsletter list will know details tomorrow. Development work that started in 2005 can finally be taken advantage of by the masses.
VaccaRabite
agree.gif
The few times I have had to drive my car when it was freezing I hated seeing the pressure gauge peg on startup. I find it's best to keep dicking with the car so that I just don't get a chance to drive it, rather then Changing oil. wink.gif
Zach
jsayre914
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 27 2011, 08:45 AM) *

agree.gif
The few times I have had to drive my car when it was freezing I hated seeing the pressure gauge peg on startup. I find it's best to keep dicking with the car so that I just don't get a chance to drive it, rather then Changing oil. wink.gif
Zach

dry.gif

Dont make me start another poll for 2012
AndyB
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Oct 27 2011, 02:23 PM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 27 2011, 08:45 AM) *

agree.gif
Zach

dry.gif

Dont make me start another poll for 2012

No point Joe. You know its gonna be the FIT again poke.gif
VaccaRabite
I have a lot to sell at Hershey this year - more then may fit in the 914. If the car is running I may have to tow it.

Joe, get your engine dropped so I can scavenge all the bits I need for mt EFI project!

Zach
Tom_T
Back in the old school days, the makers put a little booklet in the glove box that has a page in it with the factory recco'd oil weights for temp. ranges & other really good info about your car in it. shades.gif

I always encourage my 2 kids to read theirs, might help to do so for your question. poke.gif biggrin.gif

and...... welcome.png
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.