Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Met an Uber-lurker at the autocross last weekend
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ConeDodger
I found myself in the odd situation of having the only 914 at the PCA-SVR event last weekend. During the afternoon sessions, I was talking with a guy who is a childhood friend of friends of mine. He mentioned that he has a 914. Oh? I wonder why he is autocrossing a C2? As the conversation goes on, it turns out it is an original 6 and in great shape.
I thought maybe I had found one that was not on the VIN Registry but it turns out, Darryl is a member and doesn't even remember it!
He hasn't logged on since 2008 and has 0 posts! Great guy and great car... Here is a pic of his whole herd...
I will try to lure him back on the site, his screen name is Mac Schnell and I would bet he can't remember his log in and password.
Andyrew
That 356 is gorgeous!
zymurgist
Holy cow, that's a nice collection! drooley.gif
Dave_Darling
Is that 914 painted Petrel Blue? That's a 911SC color (and probably others).

--DD
ConeDodger
Dave,
I'm not sure what color it is. I was so excited that I might have found an undocumented 914-6 that I never asked about color or condition. He apparently isn't afraid to modify it a bit as he is considering having Original Customs give him some exhaust options. I remember he said it is the original engine that has been changed to a 2.2. He should get along with McMark pretty well as the Mac in Mac Schnell is short for Macintosh and we all know Mark drinks their kool-aid. biggrin.gif
skota
I would love to see some interior photos also, looks like some plaid in there. Could be alska blue.
aktion035.gif
Dave_Darling
Looks too greenish to be Alaska Blue. That was also not available in 70 or 71. It also looks too greenish to be Metallic Blue.

Then again, it wouldn't be the first time the color in a picture on line fooled me.

--DD
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Oct 26 2011, 01:15 PM) *

Looks too greenish to be Alaska Blue. That was also not available in 70 or 71. It also looks too greenish to be Metallic Blue.

Then again, it wouldn't be the first time the color in a picture on line fooled me.

--DD

Dave, the VIN is 9140431289. Is that late enough to be a '72?
horizontally-opposed
Is that PLAID I see?!?!? wub.gif

pete
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Oct 26 2011, 02:46 PM) *

Is that PLAID I see?!?!? wub.gif

pete

Maybe a pair of golf pants just picked up at the cleaners. lol-2.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Oct 26 2011, 09:33 AM) *

--DD

Looks like Gemini Blue to me.

Hopefully his computer has his log-in memorized! biggrin.gif
BajaXJ92
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Oct 26 2011, 06:26 PM) *

--DD

Definitely not Gemini Blue, looks a little too dark and greenish....
smj
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 26 2011, 01:26 PM) *

The first digit after "914" was the model year, so this should be MY1970. According to the VIN database pages, MY1972 914-6 would have VINs 9142430001 – 9142430260. Reference: VIN/Chassis Numbers Page

There have been exceptions I'm sure - rebuilt prototypes, specials or racers, etc. And if I missed a bit of context in there somewhere, my apologies.
rick 918-S
drooley.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(BajaXJ92 @ Oct 26 2011, 04:52 PM) *

--DD

Lighting, cameras, computer displays, etc. all change the colors, as do the ambient lighting & area around the subject (e.g.: gass, trees, etc.) to make a statement like that. I've seen pics of other 914s of know Metallic Blue & Gemini Blue which look pretty close to this one. shades.gif

Rob's just going to have to call the guy for his Karmann Plate color code & check to see if it was repainted different or same color ever. poke.gif biggrin.gif

.... OH! ..... and to get more pix too! popcorn[1].gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Oct 28 2011, 07:58 PM) *

QUOTE(BajaXJ92 @ Oct 26 2011, 04:52 PM) *

--DD

Lighting, cameras, computer displays, etc. all change the colors, as do the ambient lighting & area around the subject (e.g.: gass, trees, etc.) to make a statement like that. I've seen pics of other 914s of know Metallic Blue & Gemini Blue which look pretty close to this one. shades.gif

Rob's just going to have to call the guy for his Karmann Plate color code & check to see if it was repainted different or same color ever. poke.gif biggrin.gif

.... OH! ..... and to get more pix too! popcorn[1].gif

I'll see what I can do... By the way, Darryl plans on being at the Infinion autocross coming up in November. 19th I think. Be there and get all the pics you can stand. Oh, and I will be flogging my new engine driving.gif
Seaside6
QUOTE(smj @ Oct 26 2011, 04:22 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 26 2011, 01:26 PM) *

The first digit after "914" was the model year, so this should be MY1970. According to the VIN database pages, MY1972 914-6 would have VINs 9142430001 – 9142430260. Reference: VIN/Chassis Numbers Page

There have been exceptions I'm sure - rebuilt prototypes, specials or racers, etc. And if I missed a bit of context in there somewhere, my apologies.

My VIN is 9140431207 and the sticker says 4/70.
ezbngreen914
I can't stop staring at that picture. Its like looking into the sun. w00t.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.