Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Carb Conversion Help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
deloreandude86
Hey guys, I was reading the other day that if you do a carb conv. that you also need a new cam. Was wondering exactly what cam i need and if it will be cheaper just to fix the FI, because I have the new dual carb system and the old FI which needs to be totally re-worked, all components need to be replaced. I have a 1.7.

Thanks
914Mels
I don't know why you would "have" to run a new cam. Depending on your choice of carb kits, if you stay with the smaller carbs up to say a dual 40 set up, you should be fine on the street. Don't expect any more power than the F.I. produced when it was running correctly.
jmill
The plus of carbs is you can run a long duration high overlap cam. Without changing the cam you leave HP on the table, get worse mpg and cold start hassles.
Mike Bellis
You do not HAVE to swap the cam. But, to take full advantage of the carbs, you should.
TheCabinetmaker
All your FI components need to be replaced? I seriously doubt that. There are a lot of here that have what you need. If your gonna split the case to replace the cam, your also gonna put in all new bearings, have the crank polished, bigger pistons and cylinders, etc. It always happens. Its the "while I'm in there syndrom (better known as Dirk Wrights desease). Leave the cam and you will be fine, or....Just fix the FI!
deloreandude86
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Oct 26 2011, 05:30 PM) *

All your FI components need to be replaced? I seriously doubt that. There are a lot of here that have what you need. If your gonna split the case to replace the cam, your also gonna put in all new bearings, have the crank polished, bigger pistons and cylinders, etc. It always happens. Its the "while I'm in there syndrom (better known as Dirk Wrights desease). Leave the cam and you will be fine, or....Just fix the FI!

Well you see, we had a little bit of a fire issue. Kinda accidentally melted everything, including wire harness, and hoses and all that, plus the injectors themselves would need to be replaced and the pressure sensor took a crap. so, if the brain box still works, that would be only lead i have on the FI, minus the metal parts of the fuel line
TheCabinetmaker
Oops. fires are good for roasting animal flesh, bad for 914's. Sorry to hear that man. Ok, go for the carbs. Forget the cam, unless you just want to take engine apart anyway.
deloreandude86
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Oct 26 2011, 05:45 PM) *

Oops. fires are good for roasting animal flesh, bad for 914's. Sorry to hear that man. Ok, go for the carbs. Forget the cam, unless you just want to take engine apart anyway.

Yeah, already been down twice lol, I'm having issues on top end performance. I can do a burn-out taking off, get to 50 in like 8-10 seconds, but once it hits 50, thats about it, with the pedal clear to the floor going down hill I can hit almost 70, and thats it, if it start climbing a hill it starts falling down to about 60. Not sure what could be the problem
TheCabinetmaker
Yep. Sounds like a poor tired old motor.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.