Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: shocks, springs & ride height-
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DRPHIL914
background info: 75 914, 2.0

when i bought the car 2 years ago the springs had sag and shocks were shot-

i put bilistein sports in with new weltmeister 100# springs. Tires are 195/55 on 15" empi 8 spokes, stock swaybar which has brand new bushings.

the bilistein shocks are adjustable, i think 8 slots on the lower end to adjust the lower spring retainer up or down.

1. what is the normal average ride height, what would be the normal gap of the wheel to the fender?

2. it seems like these sit a little on the low side, even considering i have lower profile tires, i am set on the 3rd from the top setting for the spring perch. i can set it higher, and i have had it at the top setting but then it is very bouncy as the spring is engauged more rather than the shock. going lower uses less stress on spring more on shock, but ride height is then lower than it should be.

* 3.one other issue is balance from the left to the right.

the right seems to sit about a 1/2" or so lower that the right when sitting level in garage on the wheels. but if i put it on the jack stands either on the rear jack points or put the jack stands under the engine mount bar on both sides the fenders , bumper etc are level and equal distance from the floor. when jacking there is no change in the door gaps, very little shift or change in those. suspension ears are not rusted - could it just be a slight difference in the spring or the shocks??

thanks for the advice and input!!!

Bartlett 914
First off your rear sway bar is wrong. The drop links are up side down.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Oct 27 2011, 10:25 AM) *

dry.gif

i should have stated when posting this picture for the purpose of viewing the shocks, that this was taken before new bushings were put in. They were just hanging there because when i replaced the shocks the old bushings just crumbled.
I assure you this is not how they are now,-- (and the local porsche shop did the new bushing install). - i'll post a new picture . smile.gif

pw
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Oct 27 2011, 10:31 AM) *

QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Oct 27 2011, 10:25 AM) *

dry.gif

i should have stated when posting this picture for the purpose of viewing the shocks, that this was taken before new bushings were put in. They were just hanging there because when i replaced the shocks the old bushings just crumbled.
I assure you this is not how they are now,-- (and the local porsche shop did the new bushing install). - i'll post a new picture . smile.gif

pw

a better picture with the correct sway bar alignment - new bushings smile.gif
r_towle
If you look in the haynes manual, the proper ride height for the front is describe and is shows how to measure it from the adjuster cap.

From there, the rear should be about a 1/4 higher is you measure on a level surface using the longitudinal as your guide...
I find it easier to make a wooden block that fits under the front of the long.
Then slide that block to the rear...and add a 1/4 inch spacer, or like me, just use your eyes....
Its way to hard to get a tape measure under there and adjust things at the same time.

After I set one side adjuster (front) to the proper height....I use a block of wood and a sharpie to do this..
Just move that over to the other side and do it again.
Car needs to be on the ground...on its wheels.
So the block I can see while reaching in with an 11mm wrech/socket to adjust things.
Then you need to roll the car back and forth...and jump on the front end to make it settle.
then check your adjustment.
Both sides at the fenders could be different...they are hand made cars.

Do not use your fenders, do not rely on the rubber tire...use the long.

The front should be slightly lower than the rear..that is the proper setup.

With the rears, think of them as non adjustable...set both sides to the same height.
Use the front adjusters to make the whole car sit level side to side.
Then have it corner balanced.

Rich
Chris Pincetich
QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 27 2011, 10:12 AM) *

Both sides at the fenders could be different...they are hand made cars.

Do not use your fenders, do not rely on the rubber tire...use the long.

agree.gif
How low can ya go?
I was in the parking lot at the local supermarket and noticed that the shopping cart was taller than the roof of my 914 happy11.gif
beerchug.gif
Rand
what is the normal average ride height

That's a bit subjective in my book. I like lower than stock. Front A-arms parallel to the ground is about as low as you should go without mods. That's where mine's at, with the rear a touch higher than level.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.