Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 4 and 6 Vin number id tag question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pete000
I reciently saw a 914 that was a European spec car. Not sure of which country it was from, but it had no front side marker lights. I also had the second bulbs in the front turn signal housings and amber real lamps.

I did notice it did not have a Vin number tag on the front windshield pillar?

It also did not have the Karmann plaque in the door jamb or the decal on the rear door jamb (too many paint jobs over the years?)

Question is, did the European delivered models not come with the pillar Vin tab?

The car seems to have the correct stamps on the front fender and rear trunk floor.

Thanks !

jonferns
Correct me if im wrong, but im fairly certain that the difference in VIN tags between the two models was that the euro model did not have the VIN sticker in the door jamb, which stated that the car met U.S safety requirements. All the other tags should be present though
SirAndy
ROW cars neither had the windshield VIN tag nor the door-jamb sticker (US compliance).

They did however have the Karman plate riveted to the front door jamb as well as the VIN plate riveted to the headlight bucket (70-74) or the firewall (75).

shades.gif
pete000
QUOTE(Jon Fernandes @ Oct 27 2011, 09:17 AM) *

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly certain that the difference in VIN tags between the two models was that the euro model did not have the VIN sticker in the door jamb, which stated that the car met U.S safety requirements. All the other tags should be present though

I have no idea, why I am asking.

I heard on the Euro Cars there was:

1.No Vin tag on the windshield pillar

2. no Vin decal in the door jamb.

Not sure on the Karmann plaque in the forward jamb?

Also if the car does not have the plaque on the Head Light bucket in the front trunk is this a huge big deal as long as the Vin is properly stamped on the fender and rear trunk?

Like in this photo.

SirAndy
QUOTE(pete000 @ Oct 27 2011, 10:24 AM) *
Also if the car does not have the plaque on the Head Light bucket in the front trunk is this a huge big deal as long as the Vin is properly stamped on the fender and rear trunk?

Depending on what state you are in, the missing VIN tag on the headlight bucket is illegal.

Now, you probably will get away with it and i'm not sure it's worth the trouble to ask the DMV for a replacement (which wouldn't look original anyways but would be legal).

Sleeping dogs and all ... shades.gif
Mike Bellis
In California if you ask for a new VIN the number will start with "CA******" They will not give a matching number to the original. They will also drill holes in the original stamped VIN. My 911 was that way.
smj
FWIW, my 1970 914-6 doesn't have the door jamb VIN plate, nor the VIN plate on the headlight assembly. It does have the Karmann plaque, the A pillar VIN tag, and the VIN stamped on the wheel well. California DMV didn't seem to care - but then the car already had a Cali title, so YMMV.

The car's been repainted several times, but they kept the Karmann plate masked off. (Very poorly, but still...) I'm not inclined to hunt down the POs over this question, though I'd be interested to learn why I found so many pennies and .22 shell casings in the passenger headlight bucket... blink.gif

By contrast my 1974 914-4 has every marking mentioned.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.