Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Axillary Air Regulator Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JawjaPorsche
I am experiencing high idle. I have been checking the vacuum hoses for a leak with no luck yet. I noticed the AAR (Axillary Air Regulator) has a wire. Can anyone tell me where the wire originates from?

As usual, I really appreciate all your help. Yall are the best!

Terry
SLITS
Engine harness, 12 pin connector on relay board, pin #12, white wire, constant switched power, 12 VDC.
JawjaPorsche
Thank you so much the quick response.

Terry

QUOTE(SLITS @ Oct 27 2011, 12:32 PM) *

Engine harness, 12 pin connector on relay board, pin #12, white wire, constant switched power, 12 VDC.

TheCabinetmaker
To test for a leak, remove the hose from it to the aircleaner and block the hose with your finger. If the idle goes down, you've found your leak. If not, keep looking.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Oct 27 2011, 12:26 PM) *

I am experiencing high idle. I have been checking the vacuum hoses for a leak with no luck yet. I noticed the AAR (Axillary Air Regulator) has a wire. Can anyone tell me where the wire originates from?

As usual, I really appreciate all your help. Yall are the best!

Terry

if the 12v has power but the AAR does not get hot just from being connected and on- the heating element inside is shot- but if it gets hot and after warm up it is still sucking air, there is your leak as stated by another here- it should completely close withing 5 minutes. they stick , and sometimes some penetrating oil- PBblaster etc will allow the valve to move again, .

pw
JawjaPorsche
Okay, I am extremely confused. I blocked the hose with my finger and the idle immediately went down. Hot Dang, yall are awesome! After replacing several hoses, the idle was back up. In fact, I disconnected the hose going to the AAR and placed my finger over the mouth and nothing! Is the AAR fried?

I tried spraying some penetrating oil into the mouth of the AAR. Maybe the valve will free up?

Thank you in advance.

Terry

QUOTE(vsg914 @ Oct 27 2011, 01:48 PM) *

To test for a leak, remove the hose from it to the aircleaner and block the hose with your finger. If the idle goes down, you've found your leak. If not, keep looking.
TheCabinetmaker
No. The aar is in essence a controled vacuum leak. It has a shaft inside with a small slot in it. The slot lets in air. As it warms up the shaft turns and shuts off the slot. The aar can be stuck closed, in which case it never idles high, or it can be stuck open, in which case it will never idle down. You can elimnate the aar altogether by plugging the hose. Then find your leak.

Check the hose on the drivers side of the aar. Make sure the other end of that hose is connected to the cold start valve.
JawjaPorsche
Thank you so much. I will try to chase that leak this weekend!

Terry

QUOTE(vsg914 @ Oct 27 2011, 04:50 PM) *

No. The aar is in essence a controled vacuum leak. It has a shaft inside with a small slot in it. The slot lets in air. As it warms up the shaft turns and shuts off the slot. The aar can be stuck closed, in which case it never idles high, or it can be stuck open, in which case it will never idle down. You can elimnate the aar altogether by plugging the hose. Then find your leak.

Check the hose on the drivers side of the aar. Make sure the other end of that hose is connected to the cold start valve.

Spoke
An easy way to check for vacuum leaks is to spray hoses, interfaces between intake tubes and heads, and other intake items with carb cleaner while the engine is running.

When you spray on the item leaking, the engine note will change immediately while the cleaner clogs the leak.
JawjaPorsche
Success! Vacuum Leak solved for now. It was the small hose running from throttle body to the distributor! When I took it off to replace, it broke into two! Definitely a leak there!

Thank you so much to everyone who contributed advice to my problem. Yall are the best.

Terry
TheCabinetmaker
Awesome Terry. Don't it feel good when you fix it yourself?
JawjaPorsche
Absolutely! I have been giving my local mechanic a lot of work this year. I have two other cars with 250K miles. Cheaper than a car payment plus lower insurance.

Terry

QUOTE(vsg914 @ Oct 28 2011, 12:53 PM) *

DRPHIL914
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Oct 28 2011, 01:10 PM) *

Absolutely! I have been giving my local mechanic a lot of work this year. I have two other cars with 250K miles. Cheaper than a car payment plus lower insurance.

Terry

if fthat one was that bad, i would change them all at the same time, do the rest as well. . way to go!
9fourteen14
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Oct 28 2011, 09:30 PM) *

QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Oct 28 2011, 01:10 PM) *

Terry

if fthat one was that bad, i would change them all at the same time, do the rest as well. . way to go!

What hoses does everyone use? I would like to replace them all also?
What should I get?
Thanx
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.