Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Preferred Method of install Engine Tin Seals
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bandjoey
I'm getting ready to install Mikey's new rubber seals in the engine compartment. Getting the old hardened ones out took cutting and chiseling. Ug.

What's the preferred method to install the new seals into the channels?

Oil it all up and slide it in? Align it and squish it in inch by inch? Other ways?
Thanks.
Katmanken
If you slide, use lots of lube.

I put the bottom of the rubber in the bottom of the retaining bracket, and carefully used a screwdriver to work the top in.

Other methods may vary....
dlee6204

I put the bottom of the rubber in the bottom of the retaining bracket, and carefully used a screwdriver to work the top in.

agree.gif

I used this method and it worked fine. I tried sliding it in but was unsuccessful.
SirAndy
QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Oct 27 2011, 04:10 PM) *

agree.gif

I used this method and it worked fine. I tried sliding it in but was unsuccessful.

agree.gif

It helps to use a dull screwdriver so you don't poke holes in your nice new seals ...
smash.gif
VaccaRabite
agree.gif
it goes pretty quick.

Zach
Mikey914
I used the big screwdriver method, but I guess you could slide.
Maybe use wd40?
sean_v8_914
DO NOT SLIDE IT IN!
the stretch will turn to shrinkage over time and it will become too short
I have a fat flat screw driver. I rounded the edges. lube it with soapy water. if your shelf is super sexy clean painted goodness, mask the lip to protect in the event of a slip
rwilner
I just did this and used the push / slide method, there was no stretching.

I lubricated it with simple green and they slid right in

My engine was out of the car though.

bandjoey
Thanks. I'll try the top to bottom method first. A handy tool comes to mind. HF sells a bag of 3 plastic door panel tools that won't cut into the rubber. Let u know.
914_teener
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Oct 27 2011, 10:03 PM) *

Thanks. I'll try the top to bottom method first. A handy tool comes to mind. HF sells a bag of 3 plastic door panel tools that won't cut into the rubber. Let u know.

I used electricians conduit lube I had lying around and pushed them it. No problems no "shrinkage" shades.gif You have to bend out the end tab on the sheet metal rail though.

I think the screw driver method probably ok too....Mark would know. I did it that way because my engine was in.

Make sure you have em in the right way...you can put them in upside down.
TheCabinetmaker
I first tried to slide mine in with wd40. Nope. Then tried to work it in with my fingers and screwdriver. Worked, but was very slow and poked holes in the ends of my fingers. Finally squirted some Clevite red engine assy lube on it and it slipped right in.
r_towle
Screw driver....simplest way
Eric_Shea
I used a wooden pick:

IPB Image

Here's the back piece:
IPB Image

Cutting for the corners... these should have been left a tad longer:
IPB Image

IPB Image

Rear seal in place:
IPB Image

Here you can see where it could have been left a tad longer but, the engine tin will be here:
IPB Image

I mirrored the factory 45 degree corners on the edge of a grinding wheel:
IPB Image

Front seal in:
IPB Image

Basically done. Rob Sime was nice enough to loan me his hog-ring pliers to put the hog-rings back in the corners:
IPB Image

This is the easiest job I've "ever" put off for a long period of time! biggrin.gif

Marks seals are spot on! thumb3d.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.