Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: turbo on a stock 4cyl
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ctrout
I did a search for "turbo" and was surprised that I didn't find any threads on adding a turbo to a stock 1.7, 1.8, or 2.0. Is this not a possibility or just not a good idea because of reliability and longevity issues? What would be better for 160-180hp, turbo a 1.8 or swap in a 6? What would be cheaper?
Jeroen
Strange... the search should have come up with something, cause we had more than a couple of turbo threads here

cheers,

Jeroen
Jeroen
You didn't use the search function properly

Try clicking here

cheers,

Jeroen
Ctrout
I got the same three pages but didn't see anything that talked about torbo on a 4 cyl engine.
Jeroen
Actually, the "turbo" search comes up with 53 pages...
Happy browsing biggrin.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
mikester
"You can't turbo a 914."

boldblue.gif
Mueller
depends on a lot of things....

if you have to pay someone to add the turbo to your car, (@$50 an hour or so, minimum) it might be cheaper to do a six....then again, if you have to pay someone to do the /6 conversion, it might be cheaper to do the turbo smile.gif

there are at least 2 people on the BBS running /4 motors with a turbo, one did it himself and the other one bought the car with it installed.....

Everything is pretty much custom, there will not be a simple bill of materials and instructions available..it's one of those things that if you have to ask about it, forget it unless you have deep pockets or can do 90% of the work yourself......you should start off buying a few books on the subject if you are serious about it...
physician
someone bought Ed Villelas turbo /4 a few months ago, search for it
Mark Henry
By the time you buy/fab/figure everything out and beef the engine, you could have built a N/A engine that makes as much power and is reliable.
Joe Bob
Do it right...grab a 930 motor and stuff it in....
mxdude914
i really want to know about how much it would cost to have it done or do it yourself and what would be reguired
Ctrout
Custom exhaust, turbo unit, blow-off valve, oil lines for the turbo, intercooler if you want better efficiency. I've never done it before but I have looked into it a bit. I'm trying to think of any other major parts or fabrication needed. Maybe it would be easier to supercharge it.
mxdude914
what would be diff. about supercharger
Ctrout
Superchargers are belt driven. No need for a custom exhaust. A supercharger setup costs around 2-3k I think.
mxdude914
how much would a turbo setup cost done yourself
Ctrout
Most of the parts can be had used for very low cost. You would need the exhaust though. You could probably do it for $1000 or less if you set your mind to it. That doesn't mean that the stock motor could handle the power. You would probably want to do a full rebuild with quality parts. especially the pistons and rods. Might want to figure out how to incorporate knock sensing stuff too so you won't blow up any pistons.
mxdude914
do you know where there might be some info on how i could do it and about how much power it might have in the end starting with a stock 2.0
andys
I had a turbo on my '73 914/4 back around 1975. The kit was manufactured by Crown as I recall, and used a Rayjay turbo. I doubt they make the kit any longer, or if they're even still in business.

Andy
Mueller
nope, no longer in business, myself and a few others have tried to track them down with no luck...Gene Berg made a kit, sold only a few and the Mark guy that makes headers (and has the horizontal fan turbo'd /6 914) use to make a kit....only a few sold, he no longer has any parts or drawings

a few of the more recent turbo installs have used CIS which came factory on a few turbo cars (Audi and others)

programmable electronic fuel injection is the only way to go in my opinion now that they are much cheaper....

I'm going to turbo my 1.8, for the exhaust, I am using a European Racing header...the turbo will be mounted right off of the collector...megasquirt will supply fuel
...it'll basicly be a /4 version of imchappys turbo'd 3.0 914
mxdude914
do you have any deeper specifications and instructions on how you will do it and can you use any turbo
Mueller
no instructions besides buy a few books......Turbochargers by corky bell and Turbomania by bob tomlinson are 2 of the 3 books I have.

turbos come in many different sizes, you have to match the turbo for your engine and or intended use...small turbos spool up faster....better for a "street" car...big turbos take more time to spool up, but they can flow more, better for high or top end applications...

all I am doing is reading and seeing what other people are doing.....i'll be happy with 150 to 160HP...that'll get me by until my VR6 goes into the 914 smile.gif
Andyrew
Can you tell the man a price!!!

I think about 3k will do the job yourself.. less depending, and more depending.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 2 2004, 01:14 AM)
Gene Berg made a kit, sold only a few

NOPE! Bernie Bergman (cough-cough HACK cough) sold the turbo kit, Gene Berg is type 1 (beetle) engines only and high quality T1 parts. Berg has never offered a turbo even for T1.

My research...1.7 heads plus headwork, 1.7 jugs bored to 90.5 T1 pistons, 78mm stroke, CB rods, valve train goodies, PEFI, exhaust, turbo...etc.

No longer cheap...look below to see what I decided to do.
mxdude914
Hey mueler how long till your vr6 goes in cuz if you have 160 hp right now id be interested in taking your motor off your hands or atleast the upgrades cuz ive done all i want to to the suspension which is a lot now i need the power to match
Andyrew
Mueller does not have the turbo system done, all that I know is that he has the turbo's.... Im guessing its going to take him a while to do it, with alot of test and tune.. Also 160 is a pretty high estimate methinks... Unless Bus low compression junk, and alot of boost are implimented in the setup...

Mueller just told you his idea.... not his engine.
Mueller
yea, it's going to take a while....I dicked around on my engine with the LM-1 (which rocks) and the megasquirt yesterday.....I just had my motor tuned up pretty well when the MS had some rare hiccup....every single parameter changed....the entire VE table was reading 255 and all of the MAP/RMP bins read 25500 (I'm the second person to have it happen since the MS has been out in the last 3 years)...now I have to reprogram the MS from scratch...I might swap out the microprocessor to play it safe...it's only like $8 or so for a new motorola chip
Mueller
yea, it's going to take a while....I dicked around on my engine with the LM-1 (which rocks) and the megasquirt yesterday.....I just had my motor tuned up pretty well when the MS had some rare hiccup....every single parameter changed....the entire VE table was reading 255 and all of the MAP/RMP bins read 25500 (I'm the second person to have it happen since the MS has been out in the last 3 years)...now I have to reprogram the MS from scratch...I might swap out the microprocessor to play it safe...it's only like $8 or so for a new motorola chip.......

i don't think the HP I am attempting to squeeze out of it is asking too much....as long as it lasts a few months I'll be happy.......the motor was just a few hundred bucks (not including the perfect 2.0 heads) so I consider is "disposable" if I happen to turn the boost up high enough to send a connecting rod right out the top of the case..oh well... smile.gif smash.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.