Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Poker Run?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Events Forum > Past Event Planning Threads
seanery
I've been reading up on Poker Runs. Does anyone like this idea?

1. We arrive at our predetermined location (referred to as Start)
-Drivers are given a map with directions to the next point.
-Cars are sent out at XX minute intervals.

2. Cars arrive at Checkpoint A where they receive a poker chip.
-Drivers (or passenger) are asked to compete a task (hop on 1 foot for 60 seconds for example)
-When task is completed Driver (or passenger) receives 2nd card, map and directions to next point.

3. repeat step 2

4. repeat step 2

5. All drivers reach point 4 and do the last task.
We take off as a group and finish the remaining tour en masse.

I like the idea because it gives us all a chance to drive individually and to cruise as a large group.

6. When we arrive at our final destination hands are made with the 5 cards each car should have. The best hand wins a prize.

confused24.gif
Engman
Cool! Grat idea - have to have good maps. You want to do this at the FCC?

Mark
seanery
yup. nothing like last minute planning! unsure.gif
GaroldShaffer
I like it. Something different, not a AX which not everyone would want to do. So besides maps what else would we need to do???
seanery
what else would we need to do???

1.scout the locations.
2.find volunteers to man the checkpoints & Start and Finish, so at least 5 volunteers (hopefully 10). I volunteer to be 1 of them.
3.Time for sponsors. We should get together at the MWC and chat with Tom about his method for sponsor gathering.
4.Practice the run

I'm sure there is more.
GaroldShaffer
Julie is planning to come with me so we can work a check point.

What is your planned start time? Julie & I just need to work out the details with the grandparents if we leave Friday night or Sat AM.
Pnambic
You can count me in for a checkpoint too. Who's coming up with the tasks?

Hmmm..."Ok, I dare you to spray WD-40 on your car. Then you get your card." hahaha
seanery
I spent a couple hours in Columbus this morning meeting with the people at the Columbus Visitor's Center and The Colubus Inn.

Columbus is well known for it's architecture, it's wide variety of modern and classical styles.
Joyce at the CVC worked with me on a small route for the poker run, this is what we have come up with:

Staggered Start at 9:14am from the hotel
stop 1 - Columbus Visitor's Center (their staff will hand out playing card and map)
stop 2 - Columbus Regional Hospital (she said it is cool, may change stop 2 local, though)
stop 3 - Columbus Municipal Airport/Camp Atterbury-Bakalar Air Museum (would like to meet with their staff to provide card)
stop 4 - Statue at Arvin Meritor Corp
stop 5 - Mill Race Park - Lunch & show-n-shine until 2pm
GaroldShaffer
clap56.gif
Engman
smilie_pokal.gif
Pnambic
agree.gif aktion035.gif
seanery
I'd like to make this a bit of a challenge. Maybe we make up a couple different sets of directions, so everyone can't just follow everyone else. I kind of wanted this to look crazy, with 914s all over town. Make the locals think they are being invaded from all directions LOL!

I don't want to publish info about the poker run before the event. I purposfully (sp?) left out where lunch is off the schedule because it is the last stop of the poker run.

This will take some work, but I think (read-"Really Hope") it comes off as anticipated!

Am I crazy?
GaroldShaffer
Am I crazy?

Well, YES..... You asked. biggrin.gif beerchug.gif
seanery
OK, I think I've got the Poker Run sorted out:

We'll get maps Friday afternoon. They close at 5, so we need to do that before hand.

I broke everyone down into 3 groups, so they can't just follow the person in front of them. biggrin.gif

As for the attendees, the Visitor's Center will hand out a map and a playing card to everyone. I gave them my CC# and they'll charge me after everyone goes through.

Also, I told them we'd give them a couple shirts (4 I think) for their employees to wear in the center so our people can spot who can help them.

I'm sure there are more details I need to share it'll come as it passes through my dense skull.
GaroldShaffer
Don't forget Julie will be with me. We don't need to work together.
seanery
yeah, you do, you'll be bored.

they won't know which locations are unmanned, so they'll have to go to all of them. wink.gif
GaroldShaffer
OK, NOW i get it wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.