Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: odometer trouble
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gearren
The odometer on my 73 2.0 used to work, but it has stoped working in the last year while the speedometer still works. Any ideas about what is wrong and how to fix it.
Ctrout
I just asked this question two or three days ago so I'll pass along what I was told. The gears inside are glued to a shaft and eventually as age takes its toll, the glue doesn't hold anymore and causes the odometer to stop working. There is an article on how to fix this problem at Pelican Parts.
Sandee
I just had mine re-built, works like a champ now! Good price, quick turn-around ...

I was recommended to use Powl's Speedometer Service in PA. I second that recommendation!

717-898-2552
jfort
how much and how quick?
Sandee
$92 plus shipping. Sent it out on a Tuesday, they got it Thursday, called to confirm could fix it - they worked on it Friday night ... sent it back to me over the weekend. Got it that following Tuesday. That's great service, I think!
jfort
my odometer has never worked and i don't care. but now the speedometer has quit. any suggestions on how to isolate the problem? what is it likely to be? a cable? is that something i can replace?
type47
you could test your speedo by removing the cable at the drive on the rear of the trans. then chuck the cable into a drill, making sure you turn the cable (of course, i'm talking about the drive "wire" inside the cable sheathing) rotating in the correct direction and observe the needle. no needle would imply the cable is bad. then remove speedo from dash and turn connection on back of speedo the similar way. no needle would imply speedo is bad. or vise versa to verify speedo is good then cable is good or bad.
Aaron Cox
my cable broke on the speedomer side. check the cable behind the gauge
jfort
so, it's just like a vintage ('60s) bicycle speedometer! thanks, guys. i'll give it a look when I get a chance. If it is the cable, can i replace it myself? how difficult is it to run a new cable? do they sell just the part in the middle or the whole thing?
jfort
problem with speedo is intermittant. it worked yesterday after not working for 2 previous days. any suggestions? again, If it is the cable, can i replace it myself? how difficult is it to run a new cable? do they sell just the part in the middle or the whole thing?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.