Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ideas as to why my engine dropped a valve
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
street legal go-kart
See previous post for the drama
I just need advice as to why the teener dropped a valve seat
This happened when the engine had just been started in the morning, engine only ran for a couple of secs before I shut it down
Car is very well and correctly cared for however each time the car is driven to town, on the return trip we climb from 300 feet elevation to almost 5000and the air temp is rarely below 95-100 deg.
We are going to install a aux oil cooler and thermostat as well as do a valve job.

Thx in advance

JT
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(street legal go-kart @ Aug 1 2004, 04:55 PM)
See previous post for the drama
I just need advice as to why the teener dropped a valve seat

sorry, i have no idea to what 'previous post' you refer.

but i donno - maybe because your engine is 30 years old ?

an oil cooler couldn't hurt, although dropped seats is usually a sign of exessive CHT, not oil temp.

i lived in the Sierra and recall one winter when the temperature never rose above 32F, maybe you live in a different Sierra ? is there one in Colombia ?

" sierra nevada mtns " is multiply redundant -- Sierra is already plural, and means "mountains" ...

sorry to hear about your engine ills, but all these old cars have some kind of issues - or will ...
Mark Henry
Yep, head temps are the #1 cause, also age, blocked cooler, clogged fins, state of tune, worn parts, high air temps, lugging the engine, etc are all factors.

Spend the coin and do the rebuild right.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 1 2004, 07:05 PM)
head temps are the #1 cause

agree.gif find out why your baby got too hot ...

wink.gif Andy
street legal go-kart
rich
the previous post is available by using the search function and searching under my name.
i dont know where you lived but at our place near the southern border of yosemite, 6000 ft elevation, the air temp in the winter is often above the valley temp november thru may. we had several days last winterwhere the highs were in the low 70's. no valley fog and sunny.
the engine was about 8 years/75,000 since the last rebuild and although sierra nevada mtns is redundant, when slang is used by the majority the applied term becomes acceptable grammer for verbal and written comunication. after all thats what english is , an amalgam of many languages , slang.

mark and andy,
#3 did have clogged fins
looks like a cooked mouse nest
i'm going to do a complete rebuild plus a giant oil cooler.
thx again

jt
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.