Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Limited Slip Diff Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dominic
How much HP do you need before you will get your moneys worth out of a LSD ? headbang.gif

Which is the best bang for your buck: QUAIFE or GT ?
nine14cats
I've driven both 2.0 liter car and 914-6 and I'd have to say you can feel the lack of the limited slip on both. It may not always be horsepower that makes a limited slip nice. Also at high speeds on the brakes they seem to make the car handle better.

I have an 80% LSD in my 901. I really like it. It takes a few runs on the auto-x course (if you like that kind of thing), to get used to it, but after you adjust you really feel the difference.

I like em.

Bill P.
jgiroux67
How much are they and where to get them?
campbellcj
It's got little to do with HP.

Torque and traction are the important factors. If you have a lot of the former, and drive in road and/or track conditions with the latter, then you'll benefit hugely from an LSD.

Popular wisdom is to use a TBD for street or autox, and a real (ZF clutch-type) LSD for serious track duty. I have a GT 80% LSD and it rocks mueba.gif
Dominic
Thanks for all the INFO. I just called GT (Guard Transmission) in Northern California and they quoted me a price of $1175. for a Torque-Biasing Differential. I think I will look into getting one of these when I get the $$ to build my tranny.

I'll just tell the wife it's a Safety thing...I NEED IT ! biggrin.gif
KenH
Note - that if one of the rear wheels looses contact with the ground, the Torque Bias LSD quits working. The "clutch" type will work under all condtions.

Ken
Brad Roberts
Hey Dominic...

DONT buy the Torque Biasing.. for reasons that Ken explained. Yes.. it is cheaper...

B
Dominic
Brad,
Which would be the better fit for my weekend driver / autocross car: the 40% or 80% LSD ?
Brad Roberts
40% will do just fine.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.