Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '72 911 Front Strut Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Spoke
I'm disassembling the '72 911 front uprights for cleaning, new rotors, etc., before installing on my 914.

I went to pull the strut out of the upright and it appears the upright is the outer part of the strut. The upright is filled with oil.

Were the early shocks not self-contained like the ones today? Can I replace the lost oil (about 1 teaspoon worth)? What kind of oil?

The shock has very good resistance and doesn't seem worn.
Harpo
I just posted the same question. My carrera struts are also filled with oil. Hopefully someone answers one of our posts.

David
okieflyr
I think Koni advises to add a small amount of either oil or antifreeze (i'm not sure which yet) to presumably transfer some of the heat to the outer portion of the assembly.
popcorn[1].gif

Eric_Shea
Those are the original inserts. Do not add anti freeze to that. Anti freeze is for the cartridge inserts.

Call one of the rebuild shops out there and ask them. I believe Rebel Racing rebuils original Koni inserts like those for around $75.00. They should know what oil to use.
914Bryan
One more Sam Adams will bring out the answer!!!
ArtechnikA
I've never seen a Koni that used the strut tube as part of the damper, but I don't claim to have seen them all, and if Eric says they exist, I'll believe him.

However - that looks like an original Boge to me. Pulled those out of two factory /6's. It's hydraulic oil and it smells _bad_ ...

So yes - some of the early Boge struts as used on 914/6 and evidently some 911 ran directly in the strut tube.

Probably something like hydraulic jack oil or hydraulic cylinder oil (available at Tractor Supply, for instance...) would be compatible. MMO or ATF would probably compatible ;-)...

But I don't think I'd trust the seals on a 40-year-old damper no matter how well it seems to cycle by hand. It could work today and fail tomorrow. And Boges were never the performance damper - they were the entry-level part.
Eric_Shea
I've never seen the Boge's that come like that LOL.

Seriously, I can shoot some pics of he Koni's I have on the shelf if it interests anyone. Same principle, they come in the factory Koni equipped struts.

I agree with the seal thing as well. It's out, it's a wear item. I'd drop a few Ben's and have them fixed or...

That said, I like the Boges. they last long and give a great firm ride. I think they are often lost in the Koni/Bilstein wars.
914Sixer
Look at the bottom end of the strut tube. Some of the early ones are all one piece and had oil in them. Later ones have a hole in the bottom with no oil. Mr Shea is also correct about Boges are JUST as GOOD as the $$$ shocks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.