Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Nor'easter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Spoke
Last night was Trick-or-treat night. Today, the Nor'easter hit.

Have about 8 inches so far, maybe 3-4 more to go.

This stuff is heavy breaking many trees like my neighbor's.

How's the other Easterners making out?

MDG
ohmy.gif

Poor bastards.
VaccaRabite
IPB Image

My poor broken pecan tree. It has given us much shade.

Its been a seriously weird weather year in the MidA/TriState area.

Zach
TargaToy
Snowing in Northern DE too...but I'm a tad south of that. Rainy and blustery here all day. We've got guests in town from Baltimore and they were sent pix of their home with 2" on the ground earlier today.

I heard on the news this is the first pre-Halloween snow storm in the NE since 1952.
VaccaRabite
According to the Sun, its the first pre-halloween storm in the Baltimore area since 1925.

Zach
Mike Bellis
What's that white stuff? confused24.gif
VaccaRabite
Its called snow. it is a lot of fun!

In December.

Zach
TargaToy
Maybe I switched some digits biggrin.gif

Can't believe you guys are getting dumped on like that.

If they are throwing salt, get them teeners inside!!!
tradisrad
So, would it be cruel for me to post a picture of our perfect sunny and 70 degree day we are having in CA?

My wife and kid are going to DC tomorrow night will this be a problem for them?
Elliot Cannon
Supposed to be 80 for THOMAS' Halloween run tomorrow!
AndyB
piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif Not here and I am by Canada suck it up Ray. beerchug.gif
Katmanken
That's really odd. Wife and I both remember snow before Halloween, and wearing coats and snow boots while it snowed during trick or treating.

I remember it two winters in a row, and my wife remembers more than that.

Wife grew up in Pennsyltucky, and I spent time in the northern tip of Maine.

And it was well after 1924....

You don't think Dr. Hansen has been editing the non- cooperative climate data again???
VaccaRabite
IPB Image
A little snow won't keep me from carving pumpkins.

It might keep anyone from seeing them since no one will be trick or treating tonight...

Zach
saigon71
Neighbors tree snapped this afternoon & I waited a day too long to tarp the firewood. dry.gif I agree Zach, strange weather this year.

Click to view attachment

r_towle
Awesome
914itis
poke.gif
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Oct 29 2011, 05:07 PM) *

What's that white stuff? confused24.gif

Dr Evil
Got 4" here in south of Pittsburgh. Weird. Its mostly gone......leaving mud in its wake dry.gif
championgt1
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 29 2011, 04:08 PM) *

IPB Image

It might keep anyone from seeing them since no one will be trick or treating tonight...

Zach

Kick ass picture! aktion035.gif
underthetire

IPB Image

Zach

Why would they be trick or treating tonight anyway? Halloween is Monday....

And it was probably upper 70s here poke.gif
Mike Bellis
Yep... 78 and sunny here. No snow for 300 miles biggrin.gif
zymurgist
Got a few large branches that fell. Only looked to be 3-4" but when I scraped the sidewalk, it was HEAVY. Not like a winter snow at all.

Sun is shining now and a lot of it will melt... of course that means the roads will be wet... thinking no Ninja for me today...
Spoke
QUOTE(underthetire @ Oct 30 2011, 01:35 AM) *

We do Halloween on the Friday before the 31st. The township has been doing this for some time.

I'm all for it because this way it does not occur on a school night.

We usually have candy for the kids and beers for the adults. My next door neighbor always has a bonfire afterwards. It's nice to do this on Fridays.
jmill
Heavy snow like that is never good when theres still some leaves on the trees. Hows the power lines? I was through PA and NY last month on my way to restore power to people in MA.
zymurgist
Local media reports that 22,000 people are without power in the Tri-State area (WV panhandle, Western MD, Cumberland Valley PA).
ChrisFoley
Ct Light & Power claims 770,000 outages.
We lost power yesterday even before most of the snow fell.
6" of heavy wet snow accumulated on our driveway and yard.
Running on generator power right now.
zymurgist
Rather large branches down...

IPB Image

IPB Image
Dr Evil
QUOTE(underthetire @ Oct 30 2011, 01:35 AM) *

IPB Image

Zach

And it was probably upper 70s here poke.gif

Jeff, you ask a pertinent question. When I moved here from CA I was acquainted with the term "trick or treat night" instead of Halloween. In PA at least, they assign what nights around Oct 31 that each township will be going out and trick-or-treating. The good side is that kids can do multiple towns on different nights. The part I dont get is, why? It appears that they have removed the concept of Halloween and replaced it with only trick-or-treating. confused24.gif
underthetire
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Oct 29 2011, 11:07 PM) *

Yep... 78 and sunny here. No snow for 300 miles biggrin.gif

And that snow they had to make smile.gif
Thanks Dr Evil, I was kinda confused about that. I love Halloween, my favorite sorta holiday. No Bs, just fun and candy. No spending money you don't have, no driving around anywhere.
Dr Evil
Halloween is my favorite holiday, too happy11.gif
Cevan
14 inches here in Western Mass. No power in sight.
jsayre914
We made three very large snowmen in my front yard, figure i would decorate them for halloween. biggrin.gif
02loftsmoor
Dr Evil I was just in Washinton PA, for a meeting looks like Just got out in time> welder.gif
jmill
QUOTE(Cevan @ Oct 30 2011, 05:02 PM) *

14 inches here in Western Mass. No power in sight.

Damn. Heavy snow on leafed out trees is a nightmare for any utility. Things are just patched back together after the hurricane.

I worked in Eastern Mass: Quincy, Milton, Norwell, Pembroke and Hanover. Beautiful area. Not one straight road, $5.99 lobster dinners and beautiful women everywhere. If it wasn't for Mother Nature handing you your a$$ every other week I'd retire out there.
Dr Evil
Beautiful women everywhere in Eastern MA? Really? I figured sweaters, meat on the bone, and pasty. confused24.gif
jmill
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 30 2011, 07:01 PM) *

Beautiful women everywhere in Eastern MA? Really? I figured sweaters, meat on the bone, and pasty. confused24.gif

Remember I'm from Wisconsin. They don't get any bigger or pastier than here.
sixerdon
Nah,.....no snow here on the south coast of Mass which equals no salt on the roads,... yet. Just lots of rain and wind.
Don
naro914
Hmmm...I was just racing at Carolina Motorsports Park this weekend at the PCA Club Race. Beautiful weather.

This is why I moved South. More months to drive/race/etc...
Rleog
Evening news reported 600 K people still without power in Massachusetts.
VaccaRabite
We got power back this morning.

Pecan tree is toast. Every other limb is shattered. The 1/2 dead elm of course came through without damage. Of course the nice shade tree bought it. Me and my father in law will probably cut it down next weekend. sad.gif

LOTS of down trees. The snow is all but melted away at this point. was a beautiful morning, but the storm f'ing sucked.

Watching Dead Snow now. Good gory fun.

Zach
mikea100
We have a lot of trees down and widespread power outages in Central NJ. If this is preview of this winter we're in for one hell of a ride.
jonferns
Power is fine around me, but trees down everywhere you look.
type47
Snow cancelled Saturday session of PCA Potomac DE at Summit Point mad.gif but Sunday was beautiful even if a little slick first run sessions
Click to view attachment I believe this is Bill Smith from WV. sorry that I missed a pic of Fred's car (Brumos #59 replica)
Click to view attachmentmaybe you can still see snow in the background
Click to view attachmentreally liked this Cup Car
VaccaRabite
We are trying to save the pecan tree!

My FIL, Theo and I have trimmed the damage to the lower 20 feet of the tree. We will need to hire someone to get the upper 20 ft.

IPB Image
The tree is in the back ground with most of the lower branches cut away. Theo is helping me clean up!

IPB Image
Theo is stamping down the pecan brush so we can get it all into the trailer.

IPB Image
After this pic was taken we doubled the amount of brush in the trailer.

The bigger wood I got rid of via craigslist. Set up an add saying I had cut hardwood at the curb, free, come and get it. Don't call, don't write, just pick it up. An hour later some dude was there with a flashlight and pickup. Nice!

There is still a LOT that needs to come out of this tree, but I can't get the money out of the Wifenbanker to get the work done. Still, I think we will be able to save it. I hope so, I really like this tree.

Zach
okieflyr
Wow Theo is growing up fast! I really enjoy pecans in the fall. Did your tree produce very much before it was injured? I've never really thought about them being this far north. confused24.gif
VaccaRabite
I have only ever seen 1 pecan fall from this tree. I did not even know what kind of tree it was for years, even though I had some pecan trees growing up in Texas - but they fruited at ton, and this one never does.

Zach
montoya 73 2.0
I totally forgot to post this on the 5th of November. I go outside on a Southern Oregon morning in early November (saturday) and this was what we had.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.