Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Trailer Tie Downs!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rnellums
I just finished putting my new RennemMetal tie downs I got down at MUSR on my racecar Apollo. Man do they look sweet. I got the powdercoated red version that matches up well with the vinyl stripes on my car.

Does anyone have any experience with their flat tow bar package? Apollo is a bit pricey to drive to and from the track, and this seems like a good way to keep the tow weight from killing my subie.

http://rennenmetal.com/proddetail.asp?prod=1410

campbellcj
Wow, those look low to the ground! I have a set to put on my car, which should be OK for track use as long as they clear my trailer ramps. It seems like a street driven car might have clearance issues with these - thoughts?
URY914
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Oct 29 2011, 03:14 PM) *

Wow, those look low to the ground! I have a set to put on my car, which should be OK for track use as long as they clear my trailer ramps. It seems like a street driven car might have clearance issues with these - thoughts?

Agree with that. Whata got there, 3" clearance?
rnellums
Its gotta be at least 4... biggrin.gif I did notice that they were fairly low-which was good for clearing the front valence-but could definitely represent some issues for a street car. This car is registered, but is not street legal. I only plan on really driving it on the track.
DBCooper
Flat tow package is excellent, best way to tow the car short of a dedicated trailer package.
jt914-6
I had a set like that I put on my track/street car. One bottomed out on the driveway getting onto the street. Bottomed out on the street so I removed them and sold them. No longer have that car, but my next plan was to get the ones that come through the bumper. It had a fiberglass bumper so that wouldn't have been hard to do.
ConeDodger
Mine scrape... Not badly but if I don't angle out of driveways they bite the ground. dry.gif
dlee6204
Flat tow package is excellent, best way to tow the car short of a dedicated trailer package.

agree.gif You can't go wrong with his flat towing setup.
ewdysar
Any drawbacks to flat towing for 100-150 miles? (like trans lubrication)
rnellums
Did anyone spring the extra 10 bucks for the scca/NASA legal tow eye? On the website it said that the eye was really low to the ground too. Pictures?
computers4kids
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Oct 29 2011, 03:14 PM) *

I use tow hitch pins with mine so they clip on very fast and I don't have to contend with the ground clearance for driveways etc. My car was lowered another inch, so the clearance was even less.
computers4kids
QUOTE(ewdysar @ Oct 30 2011, 09:01 AM) *

Any drawbacks to flat towing for 100-150 miles? (like trans lubrication)

You can flat tow until the cows come home without any worry to any of the moving parts or lubrication. This is not the case with most other cars where you have to consider your concerns.
Mark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.