So, I'll start off by saying that my 914 may or may not be a rare Limited Edition "Bumblebee." I will be sending in paperwork to get a COA in the next week or so to determine if it is or not (assuming I still have the car). I'm testing the waters a bit, and am firm on the price. If the car really is an LE, my price is more than reasonable. If the car is not an LE, the price may be a little higher than average. You can be the judge of that.

The VIN of the car fits right in with other LE cars and has some other features that may mean that it is an LE car, including:

Center console
LE Spoiler (may not be original)
Remnants of yellow paint on the rockers
Rare Mahle wheels (but not painted)

Some features of the car that indicate that it might not be an LE car include:

Vinyl sail panel trim
Chrome around the roll bar (instead of the matte finish) trim of most LE cars

I've owned this car for 15 years and if you know anything about the 914, you'll probably be able to guess that it's been a love/hate relationship. When the car runs, it is a ton of fun. Handles like a dream, great targa top fun fun in the sun, and a lot of thumbs up from other drivers.

When it doesn't run, it sits in the driveway looking sad, waiting for me to have the bucks to put into it. Now is one of those times.

This car has spent a majority of its life in the California sun and as far as I know, it's never seen snow/salt.

Here's the good stuff...

2.0 Engine with original fuel injection
Koni (yellows, I believe) on the corners
Newer tires
Gauges work (except for the clock and odometer)
When running, it was shifting fine between all gears
Newer clutch, clutch plates, flywheel(?)
Tight steering
Slightly lowered (I think it looks a little better than stock, and it was done before I owned the car)
CD stereo and 10 disc changer in the (front) trunk (may need a fuse or something else - Tends to cut in and out at times)
No major rust (it will need a new battery tray)
Smog exempt
Gas tank was cleaned a few years ago
Euro taillights
Good chrome

Now the bad stuff...

Needs paint
Door handles (more the driver's side than the passenger) don't work very well - a very common 914 problem
Missing the lock for the trunk (I think I have this somewhere, but where it is at the moment, I don't know)
Has a dent in the back left (driver's side) fender with a bit of rust where it was bent
The car does not run at this time - Fuel pump was "fixed" for the same issue it has now - and the fix only lasted a day or so
Needs a new battery
Seats need to be recovered
Car will need to be towed to its new home

The car was owned by a doctor before I purchased it via DM Motors (in Palo Alto) in 1996 and much of the work was done at that shop. May be able to obtain service records, but I don't think that I have much of this paperwork on hand. The car will need some work, but other than the most recent fuel issues, it seemed to be doing fine. I'd say that it's a great starting point for someone who wants a cool cruiser and a fun? winter project.

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
View the full article